DVD-A Early Review: Olivia Newton-John

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronJB, Aug 12, 2001.

1. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I was able to get an early sneak listen to this title in DVD-A this weekend. A live presentation that was recorded over two days in 1999 at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, NJ, this recording has the singer going through 21 of her songs, including some of her biggest hits ("You're the One That I Want", "Summer Nights", "Let's Get Physical", "Magic"). This recording was only previously available as an import CD that was apparently used to celebrate the singer's performance during the Sydney 2000 Games.
    The DTS DVD-Audio title (offering, as usual for DTS DVD-A's, a 48khz MLP DVD-A 5.1 presentation, DTS 5.1 and Dolby 2.0 tracks) has been mixed for surround by Elliot Scheiner (Sting, Steely Dan, Toy Matinee). The live recording boasts marvelous sound quality, with crisp, clear vocals and detailed and natural-sounding instruments. Crowd-noise is close-up sounding and clear, as well, which adds nicely to the "live" feel.
    There's a bit more than I'd expect in the surrounds for a live-recording. This didn't bother me, but it didn't seem entirely necessary for a concert presentation. Simply, some background vocals and the occasional instrument solo are placed specifically in the surrounds. Otherwise, surrounds simply re-inforce the music and offer crowd noise. Vocals are crisply and clearly delivered, mainly by the front three speakers.
    I don't know how many fans of Olivia Newton-John are in the HTF, but certainly this is a terrific way to experience her live performance without having to pay mega-bucks for good seats when she comes to town.
    The DVD-Audio is available 8-28-01.
    My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
    [Edited last by AaronJB on August 13, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Thanks for the review Aaron. She's one of my alltime favorites. Guess I'll need to speed up the hardware upgrade...

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I'm always surprised to find out how many Olivia Newton-John fans there are - in fact, I've become one, sort of.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Now will this play on a regular DD/dts DVD system in 5.1 of some sort and is there any video?
    This would be a good concert to have, I sure like the BeeGees DTS DVD. She is also on that if I remember correctly!?!?!
    Wes

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Wes -
    DTS's DVD-Audio titles have both the higher resolution DVD_Audio track (only playable on DVD-Audio capable players) and a DTS 5.1 and Dolby 2.0 track that can be played on regular DVD-video players.
    This is an audio-only album though - the only extras are a photo gallery and credits, which is normal for the kind of supplemental features that DVD-Audio titles provide.
    Usually though, DTS CD or DVD-Audio titles have been previously available as CDs - this particular title has only been available previously as an imported CD, so fans might be interested to hear it in 5.1 DTS.

6. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Did you compare DVD-A to DD 5.1? I'd expect a significant difference, but it'd be interesting to know how good a DD 5.1 track can sound with good mixing and encoding.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!