DVD-A changer around $300?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronD, Mar 18, 2002.

1. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

My dealer gave me a nice trade in on my sony DVD changer, and now I'm looking for a new DVD unit. I'd like to have DVD-A, and I'd also like to have a carousel changer.
    Is there anything out there in the ~$300 range? If a changer can't be had what about single disc? Progressive scan is completely optional, but I'd like something without the chroma bug (or at least very faint).
    I've looked at a mitsubishi single disc player for $300, but I can't remember the model. Also, I find the Panny RA60k to be attractive.
    I plan on getting a SCD-222ES in the near future so I plan to keep redbook & SACD on that.
    Thanks again guys,
    Aaron

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron, the only budget DVD-Audio changer available at present is a JVC seven-disc carousel (yes, it is a seven-disc carousel). It is available in black or gold and is a progressive-scan model. See www.crutchfield.com for more information. OneCall and J&R Music World could be cheaper than Crutchfield. I've seen this changer at Best Buy, and I feel the carousel mechanism is quite flimsy. Just my opinion.
    As for single-disc players in your budget, take a look at the Panasonic DVD-RA60. It an interlaced player and is now available for $200 from Crutchfield and J&R. It is available in black or silver. Also, the Toshiba SD-4700 and '5700 are available in your price range. Both are progressive-scan, and the '5700 has an HDCD decoding chip. The '4700 is black, and the '5700 is silver.

3. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks KeithH... I've seen those JVC changers at stores and I agree the mechanism looks flimsy. I think I'd like to stay away from those.
    Does anyone know if the panny RA60 has the chroma bug bad?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron, no problem. As for the Panasonic 'RA60, I'd be surprised if it shows the chroma bug at all. I know the 'RP56 and 'RP91 don't show it.

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

OK, what if I bumped my budget up to $500? Anything in that market?
    -Aaron

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron, aside from the aforementioned JVC unit, I believe the only other DVD-Audio changers available are the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 five-disc carousel changer, Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M 400+3 megachanger, and Denon DVM-4800 five-disc carousel changer. The two carousels sell for around $1200, while the megachanger sells for $1500.

7. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

I have the RA60. Either my TV doesn't show it (likely since its nothing special), I don't notice it, or the RA60 doesn't have the bug. Now while I don't quite trust myself to give you the answer, I do know that I like its picture quality alot, and Panasonic has a history of minimal (if any) signs of the chroma bug.

8. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, after hooking up my older single disc DVD player for the interim I've noticed how bad the picture is on it. So, a new DVD player will probably be my next purchase.
    Since there is so little actually out there, I might brave the JVC. It seems that peopler either love it or hate it. I haven't necessarily found anything bad about it performance, just questions on the reliability of the changer mechanism.
    The RA60 is very attractive too, although I'd really like to have a changer and save the big money for an Sony ES SACD player.
    Thanks!
    Aaron

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron, I hope the JVC changer works out for you should you go that route. Unless you need a DVD changer, I would look at other DVD-Audio players besides the JVC changer. Consider all your options. You will be getting a quality CD changer should you get the Sony SCD-C222ES ($525-600) or 'C555ES ($800) SACD player. So, you could use one of those as a CD changer and a single-disc DVD-Audio player (Panasonic 'RA60 or Toshiba '4700 or '5700) for movies and DVD-Audio. I think you would be better off that way in the long run.