DVD-A Bass Qustions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jason Garrett, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett Stunt Coordinator

I hate to ask this without searching first, but I'd like a quick answer if anyone has it. I've got the CP-72 player, Onkyo TX-700, Ascend CBM-170's, and an Adire Rava. I'm listening to my Hotel California DVD-A and the bass is obviously not being crossed over - so what is the best solution? The Rava has a switch to turn on it's crossover that seems to help, but there is no real way to test how accurate this setup is, am I correct? I don't think that the CP-72 has any control - or does it?

A guy that I used to know from high school is playing in town tonight and he owns the board that Hotel California was recorded on and I thought it might be neat if he had not yet heard the high rez version of that album to get to hear it if he was interested and I'd like to set it up as properly as possible so that he wouldn't get a bad impression of the format.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

hey Jason

The CP72 does have the ability to set speakers to small and large. It is kind of funky in the setup...unless you are paying close attention, you can't tell that the speakers are being made bigger or smaller in the onscreen graphic.

I was using a CP72 with my Ascend setup and the player just recently died. Just picked up the Pioneer 563a.

I use a HK 525 that has bass management on the 6.1 input...and it works great.

3. Jason Garrett

Thanks Curtis, I see the 72 setup for speakers, but I'm not sure if having the Ascends set to big is such a big deal. I'm more concerned with the hot bass and in my 72 setup I see the db adjustment, but no way to make it change just to have a sub or no sub.

I guess I can run Avia through the multichannel inputs and do some adjusting on the 72 settings at least for the Ascends. I know I should have already done this anyway, but I've been occupied with other things besides critical DVD-A listening.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Make sure the speakers are set to small on the CP72 was the message I should have gotten across. Are you sure you can not change the bass level on the CP72? I do not remember that. The Pioneer has even less bass management, good thing my 525 does.

I didn't play with the settings too much on the CP72. I ran the test tones from it, and then adjusted it at my 525.

Good luck. I am loving DVD-A!

5. Jason Garrett

Ok, I got off my butt and fiddled with it. The problem I'm stuck with now is that I don't see any level adjustment for the mains - center, sub, and surrounds can be setup equal, but the mains are like 6db down [​IMG] Am I missing something (that has to do with my CP-72 that is :/)?

You were right on before - I wasn't getting anything at all through the sub with the 5 set to large. I'm a dork!

6. Jason Garrett

Bummer! I suppose that marking and manually adjusting the sub level on the sub itself is the only answer. The CP-72 has a 6db cut and boost limit and with my optical input settings that leaves me stuck. I don't know if I wanna get into all that today, but I will if there are no other suggestions later on - the Flaming Lips DVD-A comes out like next week or so and I'd really like it to be proper for that.

I hate to even see what the frequency sweep looks like on the multichannel inputs - joy. Seriously, I suppose that I'm glad the sub has a variable crossover. Any ideas on what the CP-72 crosses over set to small???? I guess I can look it up in the manual.

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Hey Jason...

I think the CP72 crosses at 100hz.

Also found the bass management on the Pioneer 563a.

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

As far as I know, NO Panasonic has full bass management for the dvd-audio format. Those settings on the CP-72 are only for the Dolby Digital and DTS formats.

And if you are using bass management on the receiver, there is a very good chance it doesn't use high-resolution digital circuitry to do so (hi-res = at least 96kHz/24bit processing, or, a quality analog b.m. system). If so, this will degrade the hi-res signals from your dvd-audio player. It won't totally ruin the sound, but it will take away those fine details that dvd-audio exists for in the first place (especially the 192/24 PCM format, which is what the Hotel California dvd-audio stereo track uses).

If your speakers are large enough, you shouldn't need any b.m. at all. But if you are using small satellites with only 5 inch or smaller "woofers" (particularly the front mains & center channel), be careful. But all this also depends on how loud you listen to your music. In other words, "your mileage may vary". Sorry to be so wishy-washy sounding but I don't want to be the cause of some burned out speakers!!

Last resort if worried about bass issues: change the player's playback mode from "dvd-audio" to "dvd-video" so you can access the disc's Dolby or DTS track (yes, Hotel California has a DTS track; for some reason they didn't put that on the label). Then you can use the player's or the receiver's regular b.m. system.

LJ