1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD-A bass management weirdness

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Genovese, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Anyone know how the bass management works on DVD-A? I have two players I'm testing out, a Pioneer DV-45A and JVC 600 and when playing certain DVD-A disks through the analog outs, I get nothing coming out of the subwoofer channel. The setup for both players is: All Speakers: small, Subwoofer: Yes. This happens playing Barenboim's Beethoven 9th which sounds anemic with no bass. (My mains are M&K's that have no low end). With Faith Hill's Cry, the subwoofer reappears. Anyone know what's going on?

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Tony, I'm SACD-only for now, and so have never heard those particular discs.

But, generally speaking, there's no "requirement" or general practice of using all channels available. Some mixers shy away from any center channel info, some place the bass in the main speakers forsaking the "LFE channel", and some (Chesky) use that sixth channel for a "height envelope" signal.

Your question should be answered by someone with DVD-A and the specific discs in question, but it comes as no surprise to me that they might have been mixed this way purposefully.

3. Tony Genovese

But what is strange to me is that I have set all speakers to small, subwoofer yes. Why isn't the bass that should be in the mains, directed to the sub? Isn't this the way bass management works?

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Sorry for misunderstanding your question, Tony, and I should leave it for someone familiar with the hardware. I hadn't even realized those players you mentioned offered bass management!

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Very few players have bass management for DVD-Audio. That's been a major problem since the start. I believe the Pioneer 47Ai has it, and I know the Yamaha S2300 does, but that's about it so far that I know of.

7. Tony Genovese

Since the DV-45A is supposed to have the same audio section as the 47, I don't think the 47 would function any differently than the 45. I had read that the 45 did have bass management (like the 47) but I guess not. It seems that either large speakers all around _or_ an ICBM are the only ways of dealing with this situation.[​IMG]
    Not real user friendly, to say the least.

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Tony, if it's any consolation, (1) I was unsatisfied with the meager bass management offered by my Sony C555ES SACD player, and (2) for $200, an Outlaw ICBM-1 solved that problem (and a few others I didn't even know I had!).
    And $200 is $200... but that's still a lot less than the cost of full-range speakers all around! [​IMG]

9. Tony Genovese

Thanks, Rich. I had already ordered an ICBM before this "problem". I'm trying to decide between a universal player or an SACD/DVD video player. There is much more stuff I'm interested in on SACD, but I think the ability to listen to both formats would be nice.

10. DennisK

DennisK Agent

Tony, if you search the forum you'll find several threads on low bass problems with the 45a. The sub out tends to be about 10db below the other channels. One way to compensate is to set your front channels very low (-3 to -6 db) and then set the sub high (+6 db). It worked well with mine.

11. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

Tony said:

12. Tony Genovese

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

14. Tony Genovese

It doesn't have an LFE. I just thought that using the bass management on the player that the bass would be redirected to the sub. No such luck as it doesn't work with DVD-A. Without an ICBM, no bass for me.

15. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Tony,

Are ya going to hook that ICBM up or.....

Inquiring mind want to know!
    Ya see, I have the Panny RP-82 DVD-A and a 222ES SACD player hooked dup to the 2 5.1 MC inputs on the DA5ES and wonder how I might set up a ICBM with two sources. Unfortunately, I bet there is a switchbox involved. Anybody know where I can get the manual?

16. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

17. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Chas,
    Thank you.