DVD-A authoring question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jagan Seshadri, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I have a Panasonic RP91 as my DVD-Audio player and one thing that drives me nuts is that going from track-to-track (>>| and |

2. Jagan Seshadri

I just updated the firmware to version 2.50 and that doesn't make a difference.

Is this an RP91 bug or a DVD-A authoring situation? If there's anyone here who has the Harvest DVD-A and a different DVD-A player, please let me know if you encounter the same quirky cueing behavior between tracks.

-JNS

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jagan,

It's a little of several different things.

If you look at a DVD-A disc content is stored in AUDIO_TS, you will see that their aren't discrete files for each track/song. Instead you have a series of 1GB files, which contain the audio data.

Since this is the case, you have to seek down the file to a physical address, instead of opening a file within the file system.

Because MLP is usually involved, this can also cause some mild hesitation in track seeks.

The newer generation (RP-82 for example) of players is more responsive than the previous (RP-91 for example).

Regards,

4. Jagan Seshadri

I'm not impressed. Thanks for the explanation though, John.

-JNS

5. John Kotches

Jagan,

DVD-V is architectured the same way. Plus, older transports are slower than newer transports.

Personally, I would have done one file per chapter/song, but the people that built the DVD standards are quite a bit smarter than me.

Regards,

6. Jagan Seshadri

I would have done one file per chapter/song as well. This is one spot where SACD is more elegant. Ah, the trials of the early-adopter crowd [​IMG]
    -JNS

7. Espen Braathen

Espen Braathen Stunt Coordinator

The number of files in the file system on DVD-Audio or DVD-Video discs are pointless to discuss. The file system are NOT used by the regular set top players at all.

All access is done at the sector level, and there are exensive pointer tables who show which sector adress is associated with each chapter i.e. on DVD-Video discs. The fact that the file system is arranged as 1 GB large files does not prevent the dvd-video player from getting to the right chapter point very quickly....

Slow access on current DVD-Audio players are probably due to less than optimal search algorithms for navigating to the correct physical sector adress on the disc and/or less optimal overhead processing i.e. There are no technical reasons why this should no be as fast as getting to a chapter on a DVD-Video-disc IMO.

8. John Kotches

Espen,

Except that the seek algorithms for a physical sector are going to be the same for DVD-A or DVD-V.

Regards,