What's new

DVD-A and the DV-45a (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
Interesting thing here....When playing the Al Green Greatest Hits, which does have a Advanced Resolution track, when I hit DISPLAY to see all the info about the disc, it says PCM 48kHz 24bit......and YES, I did go to the disc setup and make sure it was playing the high-rez track. So then I put in my Barenaked Ladies and checked the info on that, and it was said it was playing PPCM 96kHz 24bit...

So I was wondering if anyone could maybe explain why the Al Green isn't puttin out 96kHz....It doesn't make sense to me. Also, whats the difference between the PCM and PPCM?

Thanks,
Brent

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brent, not all DVD-Audio discs are encoded at 96 kHz. I suspect the Al Green disc is encoded at 24/48.

PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation, which is the general encoding algorithm used for CDs, DADs, and DVD-Audio discs. PPCM stands for Packed Pulse Code Modulation, which accounts for DVD-Audio discs in which the PCM tracks are stored on the disc using Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP).

Brent_H

Second Unit
Keith, thanks for the info. I would have thought since the Advanced Res logo was on the Al Green that it would be 96kHz.....oh well, it still sounds awesome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks