DVD-A and SACD listeners, a question please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Tolsky, Nov 15, 2002.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

If you have two seperate players to enjoy both formats, what do you do if you want multi-channel playback and your integrated amp has only one set of analog 5.1 inputs? Does someone make an A-B switchbox and if so, what's the expense?
    Thanks!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, Radio Shack makes a switch box for $15, and you need two of them to switch between two 5.1-channel sources. The part number is 15-1952, and you should be able to get them at your local Radio Shack store or through radioshack.com. I use these switch boxes to switch between my multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD players, and they work great. Do a search on the Audio/Video Sources board for "15-1952" for more on how these switch boxes are used.

3. David Tolsky

Thanks a bunch Keith, can I find these by walking into any Radio Shack store?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, no problem. You should be able to find these switch boxes at your local Radio Shack. I found them with no problem, and the web site says they are available in stores.

5. David Tolsky

Hey Keith, just read your profile. I'll be in Chicago to see the Bears play the Bucs at U of I on December 29th. I'm originally from Chicago and a huge Bears fan (although I shouldn't brag about that now [​IMG] ) It will be the first time I set foot at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL. Looking forward to it.
    Well, I got the two switchers, now I just have to figure out how to hook them up. I know that I have one set of analog inputs from the amp and I have only 3 outputs in each switcher. There must be some correct cable matching to have to do here...Keith, I PM'd you.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I hope you enjoy your trip to Champaign. It's a good college town. I liked it there. Unfortunately, I haven't been back since I finished up there in '97. I did my undergrad. work at Penn State, as did my fiancee, and she and I have already discussed going out to Champaign for the next Penn State-Illinois football in 2004.

Hooking up the switch boxes is relatively straightforward. I know it is explained in various posts on the Audio/Video Sources board. Regardless, I'll look for your Private Message.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

David, my local Radio Shack had about a dozen of the 15-1952 a/v switch boxes in stock, so it appears that the stores are well-stocked in this product. They sell for less than $13 each in the stores. I am using a pair of these for switching the 5.1 analog inputs between my DVD-A and SACD players, and they work great for a low cost solution. I am hoping that Outlaw Audio will someday make a two-input version of their ICBM bass management unit, but until then I plan on using the RS a/v switchers.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, I thought Outlaw would have made a dual-input version of the ICBM by now. However, with the growing number of universal players, perhaps they won't. I'd like to see one.