What's new

Dvd-A....Am i crazy? (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
just bought natalie merchant's Tigerlily dvd-a and um...either dvd-a reveals music than on a standard CD (YES!!!:D), or the DVD-A release and the CD release are completely different mixes! I know this album (especially Wonder and Carnival, there seems to be a different guitar mix on the soloing as well as other instruments that I didn't hear before) Am I crazy?
Maybe I will go back to the CD and listen closer...
If this is DVD-A...thank you!:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael_T

Second Unit
I don't have the CD, but I do have the DVD-Audio disc, and yes there are times where the DVD-audio disc has a different mix than what you have come to expect from the regular CD.
You have to remember that most, if not all, DVD-Audio discs are re-mixed to surround sound from the basic multitrack master tapes - so when the DVD-Audio producer is making the new mix for DVD-A, he or she may just go ahead and make some instruments more prominent in the mix than they had before. They may even actually add parts that were left off the original release for whatever reason.
Both Grateful Dead DVD-Audio discs have very different mixes, with added vocals and instrument sections, that were never part of the original album. The same goes for Deep Purple, where a few of the surround cuts are actually longer than their stereo counterparts.
So you might be crazy :D , but what you are hearing might not be so crazy. Just like Quad in the 70's, re-mixing for surround (both DVD-Audio and SACD) can provide a listener with a new and enlightening experience if done right.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Darryl, I agree with Michael. Note that what complicates matters with Tigerlilly is that the DVD-Audio disc has no discrete stereo track. So, in comparing the surround-sound DVD-Audio track to the CD, it is not at all surprising that you would observe a very different presentation of the music on the former.

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Darryl ...
Rumours DVD-A Surround Sound Tracks are, in some cases, different to the original mix - The Chain being a prime example ... At least with that disc you have the original stereo mix as well if you wish to get nostalgic or compare!
Paul ;)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare DVDA has a much different take of Devil's Food than the old cd version.

Also the begining of The Doors LA Woman is much different than the cd version.

JohnG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks