dvd 6 ch out or.....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid_d, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Reid_d

Reid_d Extra

I've done searches for this subject but haven't found one yet that answers my question. We use the dvd player for movies only and I'm wondering which audio out is preferable to use? 6 channel(5.1), digital coax out, or optical out. I currently have it setup with 6 channel but the receiver wont auto recognize anything and test tones from avia and thx test(beginning of AOTC)produce no sound through the L/R surround or LFE (THX test only). The test tones from the receiver are fine. Any help or a link to an answer would be appreciated. Thanks

2. KendallT

KendallT Agent

Not sure if this will help but I had a similar situation. Check the DVD setup and see what it lits for the Dolby Digital and/or DTS output options. If they are set to "Bitstream" then they are only going through the optical or coax output and NOT through the 6-channel RCA outputs. Switching to "PCM" will direct the outputs though the DVD's decoder then out through the 6-channel outs. On "Bitstream" it goes directly out through the optical or coax so the receiver can handle the decoding.

I have a Denon DVD-1600 and it was set to Dolby Digital "Bitstream" as default and DTS to "PCM". When I tried playing the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DTS DVD, the Auto function on my receiver didn't pick up any sound, but when I switched the rcvr to the EXT. IN mode it worked fine.

-Ken

3. Reid_d

Reid_d Extra

More thanks than I can say! That was it,just tried it and it worked. Thank You.