What's new

DVD 480p input on Mitsubishi 55" 16X9 TV. Help! (1 Viewer)

Forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question. Just got a new import DVD player today that properly converts PAL discs to NTSC. I hooked the player up to my TV using Monster component cables. My main goal in getting this new player was to replace my old Apex which, while region free, did not properly convert the PAL image. Now I have a new problem it seems: according to the Mits manual it says that once the DVD player is hooked into the TV in 480p mode that you cannot change the format (wide, full, zoom). This is no good for me since I do own full frame DVD's. Is there anyway around this or am I just screwed and should just bring back the cables? Thanks in advance.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Justin, if your Mitsubishi TV is receiving a 480p signal, you only have two options for picture format: Standard (for widescreen material) and Narrow (for 4:3 material). You can switch back and forth with your 'Format' button on your remote. Hope that helps.

Hugo

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Alternatively, you can set the player for 480i when playing full-frame material. A lot of people with Mitsubishi displays have had to use that workaround.

M.

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
Will someone explain this lock a little further, I'm planning on buying a Mits 55" 16:9 and how and what does this lock do I have a Yamaha DV-C6480 that has progressive on/off does that make a difference?
Kev

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was under the impression that newer models from Mitsubishi had addressed this problem. But my set's a Toshiba, so someone else will have to confirm this.

The problem is exactly as Justin described it: Some sets, when they receive a progressive scan (a/k/a "480p") signal, lock into the "full" mode used to "expand" anamorphic DVDs to their proper geometry. That's fine if you're viewing an anamorphic DVD, but not if you're watching material that's non-anamorphic (which includes everything where the original aspect ratio is 4:3). For such material, the TV should be in a mode other than "full", or the image will be distorted.

M.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
For a long time I have recommended not buying any TV that locks into 16:9 mode.

Now there are a good number of doublers 9de-interlacers) and scalers that will get around the problem by doing the squeeze for you, but these devices are not cheap.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
OOOOKKKKKK....does anyone know if Mits has addressed the 420p lock problem for current models IE WS-55511??
Kevin

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't have the lock on 480p!!! You can view it in full mode (standard) or narrow mode (with black bars on both sides for 4:3 material).

Kevin.............No.

You can only use the WS-xx511 HDTV's EXPAND/ZOOM or STRETCH aspect ratios when your DVD Player is set to Non-progressive/480I.

As mentioned above the following modes are always available weather(480P or in 480I) you have 16:9(Standard) and 4:3(Narrow) modes. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks