Dvd/4:3tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike-N-, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Mike-N-

Mike-N- Auditioning

Hello all,
    I recently got into DVD and have some questions concerning widescreen playback on a 4:3 TV. (please bear with me, I'm definitely a newbie).
    I've watched movies on a friend's Toshiba 1700. It felt like the widescreen (default) view looked like it wasn't showing the entire screen. After playing with the zoom more than halfway through the movie, I noticed that, indeed, there was a bit more to the picture if I zoomed out one step.
    Q1: Why isn't the default widescreen view set to that view? Is "widescreen" not necessarily always full/true widescreen? Or do I not understand all the ins and outs of the different aspect ratios and so on?
    The player displayed some bad skipping toward the end of the movie (brand new, clean disc), so I opted for the Panasonic RV31. Playing back with the 4:3/16:9 widescreen option from the menu.
    Q2: Happy with the Panasonic, but without the ability zoom out one step, am I missing some of the picture? I still have the empty areas at the top and bottom of the screen, so I know I'm seeing most (if not all) of the picture, but other widescreen movies sometimes have a "shorter" picture at the same width.
    Finally, Q3: what exactly is anamorphic stretch? Thanks in advance!!

2. Mike-N-

Mike-N- Auditioning

I'm still hoping someone can help me out - thanks in advance again [​IMG]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Try this link:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...c/welcome.html
    It specifically addresses your Q3 and may also help with your other questions.
    I've never had the Toshiba 1700, so I have no idea how its widescreen options function. But I've had several Panasonics, and I'm pretty confident you're seeing the whole picture, except for whatever your TV cuts off as overscan. Nearly all TVs have some degree of overscan; it can be as much as 10%, and that may be what you were seeing with the Toshiba when you zoomed out. (But I'm only guessing.)

4. Mike-N-

Mike-N- Auditioning

Thanks very much, that helps out a lot! [​IMG] I'm finishing up reading the anamorphic write up right now.
    Thanks again!