What's new

Dvd 24/96 (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
What exactly do I need to play these? Can I just use a regular DVD player or is it DVD-A? I have the Panasonic RV31k, could it be played on that? A little confused here.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
24/96 PCM can be played on most DVD-V players. I have a 2 year old Sony that does, but you really need to look at your player's manual to know for sure (or try a disk if you can borrow one).

Also, in most cases, the player will NOT send a 24/96 bitstream out the digital output. It will down-res to 48/16 or perhaps 44/16.

As such, you will usually get the best results using your DVD players analog outs for these soundtracks.

Search the Music forum for Queen, A Night at the Opera for additional discussion.

Enjoy,

Brian

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
DVD-V 96/24, or DAD, discs can be played on any DVD player. You will need to use analogue connections and your receiver has to be capable of accepting this sound resolution (check the manual) to take full advantage without down conversion.

NP: Chick Corea, Akoustic Band, CD

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Output of the 24/96K bitstream from DAD discs can be accomplished on some DVD-V (and DVD-A players).

It's a function of the individual player, and the copy protection flagging on the disc as to whether this will be output @ full rate, or downconverted.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks