What's new

DVD- 18 and DVD-A (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
When I got my excellent Elton John: GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD on DVD-A was glad that it had a bonus disc which contained the documentary on the making of the album. Instead of a double holding case the 2 discs were stacked on top each other.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but couldn't they just have easily put the whole thing on a DVD-14/18?

I personally think that is a great way to package music and video together! They could have done the same for the TOMMY DVD-A. I'd be a strong proponent of this.

What are your thoughts on this?

David

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
That would require putting data on both sides, right? I don't think they do that much at all, and a lot of people seem to like that, as they are wary of possibly damaging both sides.

I do hate it when they just stack two discs together. That is just shoddy packaging. I have that on a Mahler SACD and it's annoying.

One good thing about having Yellow Brick Road on SACD is that the discs are packaged well. :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DVD-A on DVD-18 and DVD-14 is certainly possible.

I'm all for it. My Bowie DualDisc doesn't have a single nick on it. There's nothing hard about caring for a dual sided disc. In fact, every single CD you own should be cared for as a dual sided disc, because the top is actually more delicate than the bottom when it comes to data/music damage.

AricB

Second Unit
but most cd's have a solid coverage of ink that helps protect it from scratches, I think the older cd's from the 80's were more commonly just black text printed with no background, those are always getting scratched. Old metallica, van halen and tons of others come to mind. I personally dont like the idea of 2 sided discs. Didnt like it with laserdiscs, didnt like it with dvd(my good fellas is a flipper), and definitely dont like the idea of my high res like that. Besides I use a seperate player for my high res than for my dvd-v movies. I'm happy with my sacd packaging as well, GBYBR and Tommy. For the minimal extra cost, I would prefer the extra disc ala Flaming Lips for extra content.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I bought a bunch of new, empty jewel cases and transfer my double discs into these. I just don't like the idea of putting two discs so close together. Especially expensive DVD/DVD-A discs.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

The laquer/ink on the top of a typical current music CD provides very, very little protection when compared to the polycarbonate bottom side or to the protective layers on either side of single and double-sided DVDs.

Take a pin, needle, knife, key, whatever. Scratch the top of a music CD. Now go do the same thing to both sides of a DVD-18. If the scratch on the DVD has caused errors (doubtful), it can still be buffed out. The musical information from the top of the CD has actually been stripped off, and will never return.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks