DVD-14 Should More studios use this Format ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Scarpa, May 28, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Universal's choice of Releasing the movie The Pianist on DVD 14 has me posing this question seriously. Now granted fans of "Full Color Artwork" , a Known Disney Selling point
    will be dissapointed, but there's no Arguing that the movies quite nice transfer provides a substantial Augument for using the format. More and more films are providing both a Dolby Digital and Space Hungry (Even at Half BIt rate) DTS Track. Add to that the usual array of Docs and deleted Scenes and what's left for space for the feature is really compromized. Also considering most of the Extras are usually EPK Filler they should not take from the transfer.

Now I don't know how longevity figures into all this. Are DVD 14's More prone to DVD Rot and other anomolies ? Will Finger Prints and Scratches (Especially on Rental Disks) be a problem ? Can DVD14 or DVD18 for that matter help in the overall Presentation of the feature ? I think it could. Maybe this would eliminate the need for Superbit, maybe this will allow for full bitrate DTS Tracks... Maybe I'm just whistling in the Wind !

I'm Interested in hearing the HTF members Opinions...Guys?

2. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I'm a big fan of getting things on one disc when possible. DVD-14? Bring on DVD-18.

But the majority seems to like huge letters on the front of the discs that say, "This IS SIDE A".

I can't remember ever wanting to look at an actual DVD. I prefer the content on the inside.

Doug

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'd rather companies use two discs than two-sided discs. Too hard not to get fingerprints on them.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I vote for two disks. Those that have multidisk DVD players need not have to flip a disk over. Also, I find dual sided disks much more cumbersome to handle and keep scratch-free.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I wish all movies were released only on multiple single-sided CAV laserdiscs [​IMG]
    But seriously, I was amused when I got Knockaround Guys on DVD and it had the widescreen edition with DTS, commentary and extras on 1 dual-layer side, then a pan-and-scan version with the movie only with Dolby (no DTS, no commentary) on side 2 which was single-layer.

6. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I have an unending battle with dust that makes a read side facing upward a less than stellar idea. I'm very happy with the DVD-18s and DVD-14s I own (among them the fabulous WB DVD-18 editions of Cukor's A Star is Born and Wyler's Ben-Hur, and speaking of Universal, the recent DVD-14 of their Bing Crosby Double Feature A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court / The Emperor Waltz), but with a carousel player as my primary player, I'd rather they were two DVD-9s (or in the case of DVD-14s a DVD-9 and a DVD-5). Easier to keep dust off of 'em, and no flipping once I have 'em in the player. New Line got it right with their four disc Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring set.