What's new

DVC12 and parts express 250 watt plate amp (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
This a good combo? I decided to forget about the AV-15. It's 225 and the DVC is like 110. Plus the room I'll be putting it in is about 1100 cubic feet. Would the 250 watt PE amp be a good combo with this driver. It will go in a 5 cubic foot ported box. Just for music.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Jonathan, that is a great combo. I had that combo (different size enclosure) but have since upgraded to the AV12. The 12DVC is a great sub and the amp is a perfect match.

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Jeffrey,

How much of an upgrade was the av12 and did you notice that the 12 was less sensitive? Just curious...

-Brian

Daniel Alan

Agent
for music only you may want to consider a sealed system instead, as it would be a bit "tighter" and with that combo would boom enough for any music. the major drawback is you may lose some extention, but that matters less for music.

just some food for thought :)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Brian, I did notice the difference in sensitivity. I had to turn the amp up a little more, not too much, but I definitely had to turn it up.

When I first put the AV12 in the DVC enclosure I didn't notice too much of a difference. But as soon as I played the beginning of Toy Story 2, I noticed the difference. I was able to turn it up more due to the greater xmax of the AV12. Where the 12DVC started to distort, the AV12 played perfectly. Currently, the AV12 is awaiting a new enclosure. I will be building it, hopefully, over Spring Break(March 17-21) if the weather is better. I'd build it now but I have 5 tests this coming week and 2 papers. No time for anything!

Overall, the 12DVC and AV12 are both great subs. I would recommend either!

PS. I never got rid of te 12DVC. I just couldn't let it go, so it's now in the trunk of my car.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Ok Daniel, I'll consider a sealed enclosure. But first, what does QTC mean? I hear people talk about it all the time and that you should have a QTC of like .4.
And, what's an LT circuit?

Jonathan T

Second Unit
I found the definition of QTC, but I don't understand. So, I've heard a QTC of .4 is good, is this true? It's what I'm gonna shoot for.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
You picked a good driver . I run dual PE DVC sonosubs in my bedroom . I'ts such a versatile driver it sounds good sealed or ported. Have you already built the enclosure? Do you realize how big a 5 cubic ft. box is? You really don't need to go so large with the box, 3 cubic ft. is plenty for that driver vented.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I downloaded WinISD. It says 1.5 cubic ft. is the best size for the Dayton DVC 12" in a sealed enclosure. Is that correct? Am I reading that right?

thanks
Jim

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Jim, I know many have stated over on the PE Tech Talk board that 1.2-1.5cu.ft. is best for the driver. You may want to do a search over there for a little more info.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
When you say best, what do you mean? I wanted the sub to be linear to 30hz. And yes, in the music I listen to, there is info around 30hz, quite a bit of it. Also, I know how big a 5 cubic foot enclosure is, I was gonna build a 10 ft3 enclosure for an AV15 before I decided to go with the DVC. The DVC will be used with a pair of HE10.1s (when I get them) and crossed at around 60 to 70hz. Also, the DVC enclosure will be SEALED, not vented and I haven't built it yet.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
"Best" as in the box is small enough to spring back against the driver enough to keep the bass tight, but big and "airy" enough to let it foom-fop in and out enough for good deep bass.

How's that?

Jonathan T

Second Unit
In a 1.5 cf box, it's tuned to 44hz and is down 7 db at 30hz compaired to it's performance at 60hz. I don't have a problem building a linkwitz circuit for it though..........

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Well , As has already been stated 5 cubic ft is way too big for a sealed dvc and you did state vented. If you are going sealed 1.2- 1.5 cubic ft. is plenty large enough. The reason I asked if you realized how big a 5 cubic ft. enclosure is ,is it would look huge in your room ,and is totally bigger than needed. 10 cubic ft. box, you wont even be able to lift it yourself. It would be the size of a small refrigerator.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Although it may seem like it drops off too soon, room gain will help out in the low end. If I were just building a music sub with the 12"dvc, I'd definitely go with the 1.5cu.ft. design. That should give you quite a thump in the chest.

Users who are viewing this thread