DVC wiring question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by rich r, Jan 15, 2004.

1. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I just got my mcm 250w plate amp and hooked up my mkiv shiva in a 12" sealed cube !!!

My problem is that I have very poor sound output -=- (60 DB) if im lucky -=- this is with the xover up to max and the gain at max -=- I have my VC's paralleled to a 4ohm mono load

My question is -=- can I run a DVC sub with only 1 VC powered
    -=-what would be the result if I paralled my VC's out of phase by accident ???

thanks

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

You can use only one coil but the thermal limit is halved, output should still be decent though. As for the VCs out of phase, that might be it. Open that up and make sure you did it right. If that doesn't fix it then it may be the amp. Why did you go with such a small box?

3. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

the cube is only a test box!!

I checked all my connections and they seem to fine. But my output is still very poor-=-

I checked the following

-=-parrallel connections
    -=-dissconnected all wiring and measure continuity between both coils -=- they were good
    -=-measured DCR with coils paralled -=- measured 3.6 ohms
    -=-checked phase on wiring -=- coiled are in phase

anyone have ideas -=- I have a TB w8-657 gonna try that to test the amp !!!

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Rich,

1) Do you have another driver to test the amp with? Or, could you take the amp over to a friend's house and see if the amp is OK at driving their sub driver?

2) Since you mentioned you are just using a "test" box, is it possible that it has a lot of air leaks - in the corners, and at the baffle where the driver is mounted?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just hook up one set of voice coils and see if you get output from the driver. If you still don't get any output, then the amp might be the culprit.

Also, even if you think the parallel wiring is right, go ahead and flip the polarity on one voice coil to make certain it is.

Also make sure your receiver's subwoofer output is set up to output a reasonable volume level on the line level output.

6. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

sorry for the late reply -=-ive been on vacation !!!

anyways I found my problem was that I was not getting enough line level singal out of my reciever!!!! I hooked up the low level inputs and WOW !!!!

Is there a way that I can modify the plate amp to either boost the input (line level ) signal????