DVC drivers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stacey_V, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

I have a Dayton 12" DVC driver. I just a got pro-series amp, and I'm wondering what the best way is to connect it up.
    Should I bridge the channels, and send 500w to only one of the coils? (500w bridged @ 8 ohms)
    Or should I just run both coils (4 Ohm) off of one side @ 250w?
    I've tried it both ways, and I find that the bridged mode sounds better. I am just concerned that I may damage my driver by only using one of the coils.
    Thanks,
    Stacey
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Ken Cline

Ken Cline Stunt Coordinator

How about each channel to one of the coils? or hook up both coils in parallel and bridge the amp?. That's what I did.
    ------------------
    Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
    [email protected]
    Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
    www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

4. Ken Cline

Ken Cline Stunt Coordinator

Most of the T/S specs listed for the Dayton DVC's as well as the Shiva are with voice coils wired in parallel. So, it makes sense to do it this way.
    ------------------
    Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
    [email protected]
    Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
    www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

To Pat's point, if you're leaving one coil "open" when using just one, you're doubling the Qts of the driver, which would result in a big difference in the sound (to its detriment, in most cases, though that appears not to be the case here).
    I'd run one channel to each coil. Using just one VC cuts the sensitivity in half, negating any possible gain from bridging. It also halves the power-handling, which could possibly result in damage depending on the amp you're using.
    If you've tried both, though, and prefer it another way, it doesn't really matter what I think, does it? [​IMG]

6. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to take the advice given, and run each voice coil to a seperate channel. Hopefully this will sound alright. This does mean however, that I will have to split my LFE signal, sending it to both channels. Is this OK? Will splitting the signal lower the LFE sound?
    Thanks,
    Stacey
    ------------------
    [​IMG]