1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

DV47A vs. DV3800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Red Spencer, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Red Spencer

Red Spencer Agent

Let's put it to bed...I am going to purchase one, as I want a uviversal player that does it all. Both seem to have same audio/video processing specs. My experience has been that the CD sound quality suffer on DVD players. Read some reviews of both, and listened to the pioneer, though not extensively. Anyone had experience with the marantz? And if you had to choose, which one would you get???

2. mikey.k

mikey.k Auditioning

I own the DV47A and I am mostly satisfied with it. If the 8300 was available when I made my purchase it would have been in serious contention.

I have seen the 8300 and it looks good with a solid build. My main objection with the Pioneer is the lightweight build. Like everyone else I am not thrilled with the base management limitations of the unit but this isssues runs through all product lines. As for audio and video playback I am very satisfied but cannot compare it to the Marantz on those points.

I think the DV47A can be purchase for $900 or less. The one dealer who had the 8300 was firm on $1500. That a lot of dollars difference and could sway your decision.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Red,

As Mikey said, the Marantz '8300 will run you more than the Elite '47A. My understanding is that Marantz used the '47A and upgraded the audio section. I'm not sure if there is a difference videowise. If you can, you should compare the two. I also agree with Mikey that the '47A is lacking in build quality for the money. That's a pet peeve with the '47A for me.

For the Moderators,

There is an error in the subject. It should read "DV-8300", not "DV3800". My first thought was that Red was asking about the Denon DVD-3800. Could someone make the correction?

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Check out this thread for some comments.

5. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

I have the DV-8300. The build quality is much better. Internaly it has dual power supplies (one for video and one for audio). It has some bass management for SACD (non for DVD) but I have the Anthem AVM-20 so I don't care because it can do it for me. It also has more copper isolation internaly. All this makes for better sound.

Price difference, $500. Yes that is a good amount. But if you are going to spend $900 on a piece you are commiting for a quality piece. Spend the extra and get the better one. (unless you just do not have the money of course). The Marantz is just built that much better IMO.

Also the Marantz has 1 more year warrenty on it. 3 compared to 2 on the Elite.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, I have to ask you, but have you compared the '8300 and '777ES with CDs and stereo SACDs? I have the '777ES and love it, but I am curious about how the '8300 compares. Thanks in advance.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, nevermind. I noticed that you addressed my question in another thread.