DV-S757 Onyko's 2002 THX-Ultra Prog/DVD-A Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul A. Robinso, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Paul A. Robinso

The spec's on this player, well does anyone own one or have additional information on the street-date in the USA.
    At this time availability appears to be only in Canada and Asia, www.onkyo.co.ip
    I estimate the USA MSRP 700.00 and Retail price to be to start at $500.00 to $600.00
    I am looking forward to matching this DVD-Player with
    the TX-DS898 (of which do not offer DVD-Audio Bass Mngmt).
    Therefore I would assume this (DV-S757) DVD player would offer DVD-Audio Bass management alondg with a button for remote 480-interlace/progressive switching?
    I E-Mailed Onkyo with these same questions, no answer....
    In advance your answers would be greatly appreciated....

2. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    The Integra equivalent, the DPS-7.2, is here already. Although Integra's web site says it has DVD-Audio bass management. Sound & Vision did a review and found that it does NOT. So don't get your hopes up.

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Oh, one other point I forgot to mention, it isn't Progressive.

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I don't think the DPS-7.2 includes progressive scan, just DVD-Audio. Sound and Vision reviewed the DPS-9.1.

Adam

5. Paul A. Robinso

Thank you for the note of non-features available on the DPS-7.2, I was aware of this.
    My focus was the street-date in the USA of the DV-S757.
    Of which states on the ONKYO web-site above that the
    DV-S757 is progressive and I beleive have DVD-Audio
    Bass-mamnagement.
    My guess is a release date of around March/April? [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

At the price of the DPS-7.2, how could it not offer progressive-scan output? Nowadays, that's crazy. That's like paying top dollar today for the Pioneer Elite DV-09. I thought it was ridiculous when Denon released the DVD-3300 interlaced DVD-Audio player for $1000 last year. I'd get the Panasonic DVD-RP91 over the Integra player. That's just me.

7. Michael Frazier

Michael Frazier Auditioning

Following is a translation I got using BabelFish from the web page -
    http://watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20010801/onkyo2.htm
    It may not be much help, but it does mention DVD-Audio capability, but has no mention of progressive scan. If I read my exchange rate table correctly, 80,000 yen equals about $630 dollars.
    ---------------------------------------
    DVD-VIDEO/AUDIO player of ƒIƒ“ƒLƒˆ[ and THX Ultra conformity
    September 10th sale
    Standard price: 80,000 Yen
    Ahead communicating: Customer center
    Tel.0570-01-8111 (Nabi dial)
    Tel.072-831-8111 (portable telephone and PHS)
    The ƒIƒ“ƒLƒˆ[ corporation DVD player " DV-S757 of THX Ultra standard conformity (N)" sells on September 18th. As for price 80,000 Yen.
    " The DV-S757 (N)", the DVD player who corresponds to also the playback of the DVD-AUDIO. It receives also the approval of the foam/home theater standard " THX Ultra " which the Lucas film decides. It builds in Dolby digital and the dts decoder. The front panel and design of remote control were renovated, also arrangement of the operation button standardized both.
    To use the twin focusing type of 2 wave length for the pickup, other than the DVD-VIDEO and the DVD-AUDIO and the press CD, also the playback of the CD-R/RW is possible. It can do also the playback of the CD-R/RW which is recorded with the MP3 format.
    It loads the audio DAC of 24 bit 192kHz. To correspond to the frequency to the 96kHz, " it can enjoy the place where the high grade sound of the DVD-AUDIO is done sweetly without " it has done. In addition, the " direct * digital * pass circuit " and, the image circuit is cut at the time of audio playback, we have " video circuit * off function ", we have become the design which adhered to the sound quality.
    In the image aspect, you adopt the video D/A converter of 10 bit 54mHz of the analog devices make. It has made " the high fine image playback whose quite noise is little ".
    As an image output terminal, it equips 1 system, S video 2 system and composite 2 systems of the component. Other than optical digital 2 systems, coaxial digital 1 system and analog audio 1 system, the analog 5.1ch terminal is loaded to audio system. In addition, with remote control of the AV amplifier and the like of the same company operation becomes possible, it equips also the " RI terminal ".
    In addition, it can set you employ the " setup navigator " with conversational type. As for playback function program, repeat and random et cetera. In addition, information of the setting equivalent to maximum of 15 can be retained in every title.
    < Main specification >
    Reproducible disk: DVD-VIDEO, DVD-AUDIO, VideocCd and press CD, CD-R/RW
    Horizontal resolution: Approximately 540
    Audio frequency characteristic: DVD-AUDIO 192kHz (4 - 96kHz)
    DVD linear audio 48kHz (4 - 22kHz), 96kHz (4hz - 44kHz)
    CD audio 4hz - 20kHz
    S/N ratio: Or more of 106dB
    Dynamic range: Or more of 100dB
    Image output terminal: Component ~1 system, S~2 system and composite ~2 system
    Voice response terminal: Optical digital ~2 system, coaxial digital ~1 system, analog ~1 system and analog 5.1ch~1 system
    Electric power consumption: 1C$3w
    External size: 435~314~91mm (width x depth x height)
    Weight: 3.6kg
    Home page of * ƒIƒ“ƒLƒˆ[
    Http: //www.onkyo.co.jp/
    * news release
    Http: //www3.onkyo.co.jp/what/news.nsf/view/dv_s757? OpenDocument
    (August 1st of 2001)
    [ [email protected] ]

8. Adam Barratt

Adam
    I had a look at the Asia Pacific version of the 757 last Saturday, and there was no progressive scan, just DVD-Audio and THX Ultra certification justifying its NZ$3k price (US$1200). I don't see many takers here, with combination progressive scan DVD-Audio players available for much less.

The little joystick sticking out of the front panel also looks a little goofy on such an expensive product.

Adam

9. Paul A. Robinso

This would be a marketing disaster for the USA DV-S757 Model to not have progressive scan. The Onkyo websites for Canada, Japan and China all state/display this Player to have progressive-scan .

No Progressive scan ...............No Sale.....

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I bet the 7.2 was designed for use with integra's new scaler

11. Adam Barratt

Adam
    Looks like no progressive for the Japanese model either, from the translation above. Do you have a link to the Canadian or US pages, Paul?

Adam