DV Camcorder Video to Video CD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Hey all

Does anyone know of a program or a site that could tell me how to convert my DV Videos to Video CD somehow. I have a DV Camcorder, and I transfer to my Computer with Firewire. I also have Adobe Premier if that helps any. I just want to make my videos on to a Video CD rather than a VHS tape.

Thanks

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Use BBMPEG, it's freeware and plugs right into Premiere. Or you can use TMPEG and a Frameserving plugin

A quick search on VCDHelp.com will answer all questiosn

3. Adam Sanchez

Thanks! That was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Only problem is the plug in has so many options, I don't know which to use. Probably leave it as is and see how it looks.

Thanks again.

4. Adam Sanchez

I can't seem to find any setting that work. I keep making a quick test file and it doesn't save with a file extension and it wont load into easy CD Creator to make a Video CD. I thought this would be simpler. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

which plugin are you using? You have to specify your file extension in the Save box, that's easy enough. BBMPEG and TMPEG both have VCD settings

6. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Adam, what DV Camcorder are you using? I'm thinking of buying one with my Christmas cash.

Thanks,

Mike

7. Adam Sanchez

The DV Cam is actually my Mom and step dad's, it's a JVC GR-DVL310. It probably isn't even made anymore, it was gotten over a year ago.

I was using TMPGEnc last night and I successfully made a short Video CD but it didn't work when I made a S Video CD. Darn I thought I had it. :-(

8. Jeff Kleist

You need to register it to make SVCDs and DVDs with TMPEG. It also could be your DVD player doesn't support SVCD

9. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

I'm no expert at this, but I've played around with making VCD's for the purpose of seeing what works and what doesn't. First, I have both EZCD Creator and Nero for burning. I've made a VCD with EZCD before, and while it burns successfully, my DVD player will not read it. My brother who gave me the file insisted it's VCD complient file, so I burned it again using Nero, and it worked.
    Give Nero a try. Also, with Nero if a file is not VCD complient, it will tell you what the file "should" be for VCD. You can then take them settings it tells you and input them into TMPEG to convert your file.
    Also, many many DVD players have trouble with CD-R, most will be able to read CD-RW with much more success. I did manage to find one Brand of CD-R that works, but I had to buy many diffenet brands to find it [​IMG]
    VCD Help used to have a user made list, listing what CD-R's work with different DVD players. Nearly every question you may have you'll find on VCDhelp.
    Good luck, and post your findings. I just got a DVcam, and will be trying all this out as well once I get Firewire card.