DV Camcorder questions...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DeathStar1, Mar 6, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get the parents to upgrade to the DVD Based Home movie camera, so we can stop using the tape version. I'm even converting our old 8MM reels to disc [​IMG]..

Can anyone recomend a good brand, preferably with a 1394 connection? I'm perusing newegg now, and see a few good options under $400's [​IMG]..

But as a Camcorder newbie, I'm not quite sure what constitutes a 'good budget priced' unit...

Thanks!

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    If you intend to do any editing of the footage, do not buy a DVD camcorder. Though there are workarounds, most editing apps aren't designed to import footage from DVD. Stick with the miniDV format.

camcorderinfo.com is a good resource for what's on the market.

3. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Over here in Japan, there is a really versatile format I'd like to get into, which records straight to a hard disk or small removable media, kind of like a digital still camera. This is ideal for PC editing and for storing your footage on whatever media you like, if they have them over there, yet. As a result of having no bulky media to put in and take out, these camcorders are also quite small and compact.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

It's expensive, but Panasonic's P2 line-up is rather like that, Shane, recording onto PCMCIA cards loaded with flash-RAM. The cameras aren't that expensive - the HDX-200 is something like $6000, and is an HD camcorder - and not that crippled HDV format, either, but 100Mb/s DVC-ProHD.

At this point, however, I'd still recommend capturing to DV or Mini-DV, because importing from DVD is just plain grief. Editing GOPs is a pain, and even with an in-GOP editor, it's slow and cumbersom moving around within the GOP.

As for a camera, my tastes are a bit high, but I'd recommend the Panasonic AG-DVX-100A (