What's new

DV-59AVi or DVDO iScan (1 Viewer)

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
My current DVD player is a Pioneer Elite DV-47i. I'm looking to improve the picture and can't decide what the best way to do this would be. My two choices:

1. Buy a Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi

2. Buy a DVDO iScan Ultra HDTV Video Processor
(and use my DV47Ai)

My TV is a Mitsubishi 65" Diamond

Suggestions and why.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I would say the 59AVI would give the most benefit. The only thing the Ultra will do for you is use it's silicon image deinterlacer rather than the pioneer pure cinema in your player. I don't think the ultra will give you as much improvement as the 59Avi will as it's a better overall player than the 47. The ultra will just give you slighly better deinterlacing.

Marc Doggett

Agent
Hi Carl,

If your HDTV is the 65815, then I'd get a Denon 3910 instead of the 59avi... unless there is some specific reason to get the Pioneer?

I've owned both and I prefer the Denon slightly for video and easily for analog audio performance. Pricing is comparable as well too.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Use the 59AVi *with* the iScan. ;)

59AVi HDMI 480i -> DVI -> iScan.

The 3910 does not output 480i over HDMI (or DVI) so the Pioneer is a better solution.

Because you can't go digitally from the 47Ai to the iScan, that is not a good solution IMO. (You still get the chroma bug, for example.)

I'd say, get the 59AVi now, and then in the future you could add the iScan if you'd like.

Marc Doggett

Agent
Kevin's idea is great if you are gonna get both units. In fact, instead of the Ultra, you should get the iScan HD+. With the 59avi --> 480i(DVI) --> iScan HD+ setup, you have essentially a poor man's SDI setup. :)

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'm back to square one though. I just discovered my Mitsubishi TV does not have a digital input!!! I dodn't really think the change from a DV-47i to a 59AVi will make that mich of a difference without being able to use the digital output of the 59. Or am I mistaken?

Marc Doggett

Agent
Carl,

Then, if it has a RGB/VGAtype input, you need an Oppo 971H, and a Dtrovision DVI-D to RGB converter. Total cost will run you about $470, but you will be able to enjoy a PQ comparable to those with a DVI input on their display.

But... back to the basics first.
What Mits model TV do you have???
Sorry I didn't ask that question first.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Well, the 59AVi doesn't have the chroma bug, and the 47Ai does, and the 59AVi also has a better deinterlacer. I would also say the audio is also improved in the 59AVi, just not as much as the video. Personally, I am using the 59AVi now with a TV without DVI or HDMI too. But I do plan on upgrading that part of my system in 3 months or so. So you would be ready if ever you do want to get a digital input TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks