Duvetyne and aspect ratio mattes. Must do's!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Lopata, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Ken Lopata

Ken Lopata Agent

I decided to line my Mits RPTV this Saturday. I found a place that sold duvetyne. They recommended I go with Commando black out fabric. It's blacker then duvetyne, and you can't see throught it. I used staples and then painted them like Chris White. Mine didn't turn out quite as aesthetically pleasing as Chris's, but it got the job done. I then decided to make mattes for the different aspect ratios. I bought some black foam board. It wasn't near as black as the commando black out fabric. I glued the fabric to the foam board. I watched one movie on Saturday before I made the mattes. Just with the black out lined interior, there was a tremendous difference in black level and overall picture. I had to adjust contrast, brightness and color level. Using the mattes on Sunday was awesome. They make a tremendous difference. If nothing else, you need to make aspect ratio mattes. All of this cost less then 35 bucks. The best investment ever.

2. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

Could you go into a little detail as to how you made the mattes? Thanks.

3. Ken Lopata

Ken Lopata Agent

On my RPTV I need to cover 6" on the top and bottom of the screen for 2.35:1 and 3" for 1.85:1 to block out the less then blackbars at the top and bottom of the screen. I bought a large piece of black 1/4" foam board. I cut this to size (6" or 3" X the width of the t.v.), I then covered one side with the commando black out cloth I got to line the inside of my RPTV with. This stuff is blacker the duvetyne. I put velcro on the othe side of the foamboard as well as on the t.v. The result is amazing. Start a movie, then put up the mattes up, anyone watching the movie will be amazed. The picture looks so much more movie like.
    I have alot of the blackout cloth left. Anyone in the Denver area let me know if you need any.
    Ken