What's new

Dust - It's everywhere! (1 Viewer)

Jim_Hunt

Grip
I was doing some light housekeeping chores this morning with the wife and I am in charge of dusting. It's everwhere.

We seldom open the windows more than 2 or 3 days in the spring and the fall. I love AC! I always replace the furnace filter every one to two months. I usually get the nice 3M ones for allergies.

My house is 40 years old and on a crawl space (covered in plastic and lined with gravel). We are in the country. I dusted as a kid too and I don't remember it being this bad.

Natually, my computers and HT equipment is a concern but I just hate dust in general. Any tips on this off-topic/on-topic issue?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Make sure to change the filters in all your heating/cooling systems as often as possible. Consider upgrading to higher grade filters as well.

In my home I replaced the old style "washable" heater filters with top grade Hepa filters which I replace religiously every 60 days. The dust issue was reduced by a tenth! Don't skimp and buy the blue $.99 air filters- find the top quality ones (I think I spend about $10 per filter, and my furnace uses 3).

It really made a giant difference.

-Vince

Jim_Hunt

Grip
If there is any farming around there, that can be a source of dust. My parents live in the country, and it’s a problem they have.
I have farming behind my house (corn & beans). When I was a kid, we had fields front and back but it seems worse today.

I am moving at the end of the month to a new(er) home where the previous owner was obsessive about cleaning. Combine that with it being in town, maybe I will get lucky.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a couple of Ionic Breeze air cleaners from Sharper Image. They seem to do a good job and there are no costly air filters to replace.

Ozzie

Agent
I have the same Ionic Breeze air cleaners...they work!

My friend that introduced me to the air cleaners has 3, indoor, cats. Needless to say, the air cleaners pick up most of the sheded hair and dust particles.

Definately reccomended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks