1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

dust inside receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by chris bruce, Sep 23, 2006.

1. chris bruce

chris bruce Stunt Coordinator

I took a flash light and I can see a lot of dust inside my receiver. Withour taking the receiver apart is their anyway to get rid of the dust. I was told that there is a aersol can that you can spray and it actually eats dust(so to speak) I would assume that and taking off the top is the only option.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

3. JoseLH

JoseLH Agent

they have that stuff at best Buy, CC, even Walmart. Works like a charm. just don't use it too close to the mother boards

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Also, be sure to keep the can upright. They have a tendency to shoot out propellant if you don't, particularly when the can is new.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

No need to fret about taking the cover off, so long as it isn't plugged in or you take the boards out and mess around were the Caps connect to the board on the underside. The caps or capacitors are the large round can like things that have numbers on the side similar to this 63v 10000uf, just don't mess with taking the boards out and you will be fine I assure you.

Cans of compressed air contain CO2. If the can is tilted or put up-side down while in use, it may release propelant. It freezes, it smells, and after it freezes it leaves condensation so keep the can upright. I would try to get most of the dust off with a soft fine brush, like an unused paint brush, to get the bulk of it, then use the can of air to get the little stuff up in the corners where you could get with the soft brush.

Also if you have an air compressor with a condensation or oil grabber, you may use that. They aren't as difficult to use because you can point the hose any way you want.

6. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

On the other hand, we've electronics that ran moderate duty (9hrs/day) for 10 or more years, without ever receiving any sort of cleaning with no difficulty.

I'd not worry. We had some antique Macintosh Quadras die almost immediatly after their first cleaning in eight years.

Leo

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

When dealing with something delicate like that, then you must be extra careful cleaning it. Dust is one of many enemies to electronics. If it is covered in dust it cramps down on the ability to disipate heat, the #1 enemy to electronics. You just have to be careful when cleaning, and not loose your patience. Not loosing your patience is deffinitely important.