What's new

Dust blob or something else with my Marantz VP-12S2 (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Watching a movie last night, I notice a small "blob" at edge of top image, LH side.

I pause the movie, clean the lens with an optical cloth. still there.
I pause again, switch inputs. still there.
I go to Avia test screen. still there.
I search the room for some unseen obstruction (cobweb?). no dice - still there.

Of course, now I'm watching this little spot all the time. Like a blob of dust or something is obscuring the pixels. Pixels fire and color as normal, but in this one spot pass an off color (ex: the "blob" show as blue on a white field).

I've done some searching here on lint blobs and most of the screen images I see are round-ish. What I see on a 110" screen is more of a claw or hook shaped form, wider at the top, curving and narrowing to a point. About 1 1/2" in length, sort of "rainbow-ish" when you look up close. More visible on brighter scenes, gone in dark scenes.

I'm going to get a can of air today and see if that'll clear the lens better. I understand the VP-12S2 to have "sealed" optics, so I don't want to mess inside the unit at this point.

I've checked the room for possible relfecions, but no dice. This is a very dark dedicated room.

stumped.

What is this and can I fix it? Optics? Bulb? Lens? What?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

-Paul

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
Sounds like something internal and within the optical path. You will have to send in for service.
Are you still under the 3 year warranty??
best of luck

gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks