1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Duran Duran remastered CDs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

All this talk regarding Simple Minds and Spandau Ballet SACDs has reminded me of another great 80s band: Duran Duran. I checked their website and looks like they are quite busy....

Duran Duran just sold out Bodokan Arena (Japan) in 30 minutes!!

Remastered CD of debut album and "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" coming on August 5th.

"Greatest Hits" DVD coming end of this year.

New studio album featuring all 5 original members coming 2004.

Need Duran Duran on High-Res!!

2. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    And don't forget the recently released 13 disc Singles boxed set that includes all the single/12" single versions of the songs and the associated b-sides released from '81 to '85.

My only problem with the set is the maximization and peak limiting used (typical these days so I wasn't surprised - just terribly disappointed). I've compared the songs on this set to other cd releases that have come about over the years (there were only a few of the songs I never could never find on CD prior to this set), and to the original 12" releases - all of which I have as original UK 12" singles and EP's. Most songs fared OK despite the digital limiting and unnecessary noise reduction, maintaining most of the original tonality.

But, my particular favorite which finally made it to CD for the first time - the real 12" re-mix of "Hold Back The Rain" - didn't survive as nicely. It suffers from a terrible dose of midrange boost that isn't there on the original 12" 45.

Both the regular and extended versions of "The Wild Boys" has a strange muffled effect on the first few bass drum beats just before the vocals kick in. The original 12" and LP versions don't have that - it's consistent from start to finish. I have no idea why 2 separate edits would have the exact same starting problem.

"A View To A Kill" suffers from the same peak limiting problem that the version on the last "Greatest" CD had. The very loud horn-sampled keyboard "punches" that highlight the song on the original 45, soundtrack LP and the "Decade" CD is now squashed to sound no louder than the rest of the song - ruining the "blast" effect from the original mix.

Having this set, and having heard about what the re-mastered "Rio" sounds like, I fear what will happen to the 1st album and "Seven". I actually like the sound of the first album on CD already, having bought it way back when EMI was still sending their CD's to the States, albeit with the wrong songs (that is, with "Is There Something I Should Know" and without "To The Shore"). I know that EMI rectified that problem later in the '90s, but I never updated because, at that time, Capitol was then making the CD's in the US and imports were hard to get (this was before my access to the WWW).

Joel

3. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I'm ticked that they chose the british version of Rio to remaster rather than the highly superior (imho) american release, with the extended tracks. My Own Way is completely different, as is Last Chance On The Stairway, and New Religion I believe. Possibly others as well, as I remember from the vinyl and cassette. Sounds good though...

Now that they're completely reunited, I'm hoping the new album is good, look forward to hearing it...

4. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot
    For Rio, only the Side 1 songs are different.

That means "New Religion" never changed.

And BTW, even though I'd only had the US Kershenbaum re-mixed version of Rio on LP, I could never stand the sound of Side 1. Although I thought the songs were good (except for "Last Chance on the Stairway" which I never liked), there was always a muffled sound to it and a harshness in the vocals of some of the songs that made it hard for me to get past - especially on "Rio", "My Own Way" and "Hold Back the Rain". The vocals on those songs were mixed way too loud for me. And the lack of high end on "Hold Back the Rain" made that one real muddy sounding.

Once the CD finally came out with the original mixes - that was a revelation. Clarity, separation, good bass, cymbal crashes - where was all that detail all these years before? Buried in mush by Kershenbaum.

"Hungry Like the Wolf" actually survived the re-mix (it was simply the "Night Version" anyway which I do like, very much), because the overall sound was not changed - just a loop editing of the original first verse but without the vocal track (plus a few other things, of course). You can even hear where the cymbal crash gets cut off in the edit.

As you can tell, I think the original UK version is vastly superior to the later US versions, even thought it was the band who had the songs re-mix for the US market to begin with.

Most of the Kersenbaum re-mixes can be found on various previous "Night Version" compilations and EP sets released over the years here in the States, in the UK and in Japan (not counting bootleg releases). But, so far, I've not seen his version of "Last Chance on the Stairway" from the US Rio LP. But then, I wasn't looking very hard for it.

Joel

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny,

Thanks for sharing the news. I am looking forward to the DVD. I have been wanting the old videos on DVD for awhile.

All,

Is there a version of Rio on CD that has the original mixes from side one of the LP? I haven't found one. I have the current remaster, and older US pressing, an early UK pressing, and the first West German pressing, and they have the shortened versions of the side-one tracks. For now, I have the old Harvest LP, an old cassette, and a CD-R of the LP, but I want a good CD with the original mixes. Does the new singles box have these longer mixes?

6. charles white

charles white Second Unit

There is a single CD version of all the "night versions" of most of Side 1 of RIO and other tracks. Titled "Essential Duran Duran(night versions), it was bundled with a CD-ROM that had the extended mix of "New Moon on Monday". More intriguing is that the liner notes speaks of a early mix of "Is There Something I Should Know?" done by Bob Clearmountain, somewhere lost in the vaults of EMI in the UK. The liner notes author is Nick Rhodes. The one track I have never found on CD was the slightly shorter 12-inch, B-side remix of "The Reflex". And I still have the first DD video album completely uncensored on VHS locked away in my safety deposit box.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

8. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot
    In my post above, I mention "Last Chance on the Stairway" when I meant "Lonely In Your Nightmare" for the Side 1 song. Sorry for the confusion. I get those two confused because I really don't like either one.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Just want to let everyone, especially Keith H, know that the Duran Duran DVD is on its way!

From DD's official website.....DURAN DURAN: GREATEST DVD is coming in September. We will fill you in as we know more:

DVD 1:
    1. Planet Earth *
    2. Girls On Film (Long uncensored version) *
    3. The Chauffeur
    4. Hungry Like The Wolf
    5. Save A Prayer
    6. Rio
    7. Is There Something I Should Know?
    8. Union Of The Snake *
    9. New Moon On Monday (E.P Version) *
    10. The Reflex
    11. Wild Boys (Long Arena Version) *
    12. A View To A Kill

DVD 2:
    1. Notorious
    2. Skin Trade
    3. I Don't Want Your Love
    4. All She Wants Is
    5. Serious *
    6. Burning The Ground
    7. Ordinary World
    8. Come Undone (Uncensored version) *
    9. Electric Barbarella

This DVD also contains alternate versions of the videos marked * along with interview footage, EPK's, Le Galerie De Duran and a DVD-ROM section.

DVD-ROM Section contains:

Weblink to the official Duran Duran website

Is There Something I Should Know? - 40 odd minute audio only question and answer session recorded with Nick and Simon 1999

Photo Gallery - featuring over 80 images from throughout the band's career

Lyrics to all songs featured on the DVD

A screen saver and wallpapers

All audio will be remastered LPCM stereo