What's new

Durability of eD 5t5's (1 Viewer)

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Hi there,

I was wondering if there was any word out there on the durability of the Elemental Designs 5t5 speakers.

I have a roommate that is very considerate and would not intentionally harm any of my equipment, but also likes to play his music extremely loud while working out, etc. I wish I could give you a decibel level or relation to "reference level", but my current receiver (Harmon-Kardon AVR30) is sold old and lacking of features that there is no way to know.

Obviously, I'm worried that my next purchase, the 5t5's (3 of them... center, R/L) will be blown out or in some way damaged due to the high volumes. It should be said that my current receiver is only pushing 50 RMS, but I plan on upgrading to the Onkyo TX-SR606 (90 RMS) right after my speaker purchase. (I know to take RMS with a grain of salt, however.)

Thanks for your input,

Matt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The toughest speaker will be damaged if the amp is driven into distortion. The wrinkle is that the most important factors for maximum volume level are the sensitivity of the speaker and the maximum output, not so much the amp power. It's a common misconception. If you post these specs for the speakers, someone can give you a better idea of how much risk you are at. Basically, you want a speaker with high sensitivity. I would recommend in the mid 90dBs. If it isn't that high, you are asking for trouble.

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Uh oh. It's 88.3 db. Is that the decibel level at which the speaker becomes damaged?

Here are the full specs:

Max Power Handling150W
Minimum Power Input15W
Nominal System Resistance6Ω
Tweeter Size1.0"
Tweeter TypeSilk
Tweeter ModelO-235
Crossover ModelER-4X
Midrange Size100mm
Midrange MaterialPoly
Number of Midrange Drivers2
Cabinet TypeVented
Weight14lb
Frequency Response60-22KHz +/- 3dB
System Sensitivity88.3dB
Height16.250"
Width7.125"
Depth7.500"

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

No, it's how loud the speakers play with 1w input. It is the primary indication of how "loud" the speakers will play, though there are many other factors as well. There are just to many things to consider and give an accurate answer.

Basically, if you drive the speakers until they distort, you will cause damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks