Dunlavy out of business

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

How come? they had nice speakers. I don't understand how companies with solid reputation like them can go out of business at the same time that unknown companies can do so well (like Swan's or Rockets).

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

I think many products do better by word of mouth, hands on experience...like swan and diva...unless you're bose....i don't know much about dunlavy so i can't say anything about them...

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I did not like their speakers and thought they were poor value for the money.
    Perhaps others felt the same way. The marketing was a bit lackluster as well.
    Still, I hate to see any high end company not make it.
    [​IMG]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Where did you see this?

5. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

What I find more weird is that Dunlavy is a big name on the high end industry. The success of the Rocket's for example, maybe a good example of how smart marketing is far more important than anything else.

Im leaving aside quality for the moment, since I have never listened to Rocket's Swan's or Dunlavy's.

6. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

7. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

High end audio is a very tough business. I would say especially for speaker manufacturers. There are no perfect speakers and thus there are a ton of competitions out there. Not to mention that most average consumers don't care much about audio quality. As long as their HTiB has surround sound and plays loud, that's good enough.

But there's no need to feel sorry for anyone either. Because just as there are companies like Dunlavy that goes out of business, there will always be more new companies like Swan or Diva. Companies that tries to reinvent the business model for this very niche market and passionate about what they do.

8. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Dunlavys were very good speakers. My understanding is that John sold the company to a gang that didn't have a clue about high-end audio. Just like any businesses, there is a lot more to a company being around than how popular they are, or how good their products are. The quality and value of products are probably some of the least important attributes to company success. Marketing, finance, etc. are generally more dominant in this society.

9. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

Good time to look for bargans on these wonderful speakers. Too bad.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Drats...

11. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

oh oh,
    i think gary reber (widescreen review) is about to cry a billion tears... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    regards, holger

12. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I am not going to cry over Dunlavy being out of business, but I can't believe people are even mentioning Dunlavy, Swans, and Rockets in the same breath. I think one of the best statements about Dunlavy speakers is their popularity with the Istanbul Hi-Fi Club, a bunch of guys who could own just any speaker and a sixeable portion of them owned Dunlavy's. That always impressed me, though there look and size made me look elsewhere.

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

14. Duvall

Duvall Agent

>>quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I did not like their speakers and thought they were poor value for the money.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't disagree more!

15. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

What do you mean they were bought by a gang?

16. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Audio Video Logic here in Des Moines Iowa bought all the remaining stock of Dunlavy speakers. There are some good deals to be had if you have the money. They actually had to buy/rent a warehouse to store all of them. They should have some for a while.
    Nick L

17. Paul Stiles

Paul Stiles Agent

To me, Dunlavy is one of those brands that "when I win the big lotto, I'm going to get a set (note, I'm not saying "a pair") of big Dunlavys.

As an EE and audiophile, the upper end of the Dunlavy line has always interested me.

Paul