Dunlavy and home theater...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Doran, Feb 11, 2002.

1. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

does anyone have an opinion as to whether dunlavy sc-iv/a's are a good choice for home theater mains?

i know they're loved (and hated) for being "unforgiving", but, it seems to me, that is a speaker quality most sought-after by music-loving audiophiles, and the music i favor is mostly fringe metal stuff (grinding and screaming - my jazz cd's don't get much airtime), the benefits of transparent speakers to my appreciation of which would probably be marginal, at best.

so. is it worth it to buy speakers as expensive as dunlavy's for home theater if the primary strength of the speaker lies in reproducing music?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- These are the speakers that Widescreen Review uses in their $30,000 (or whatever) reference home theater.

If I could afford these, I'd get them in a second.

Time and phase correct, which is unfortunately not more common in speaker design (Vandersteen, Thiel, among a very few others.)

3. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

They're superb at reproducing anything you throw at them. Quick transients, incredibly tight and detailed bass, wonderful imaging, dynamic, and detailed across the entire frequency spectrum like all get-out. But one critical item made me look elsewhere: a bit too bright from the upper midrange through the treble to my ears. But that's me--you may like their performance in that region.

Dunlavy's loudspeakers, in all price ranges, are definitely worth an audition.

4. Kevin Magee

Kevin Magee Agent

Alex what did you buy?

5. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

My wife and I went through a long period of auditioning speakers. The journey took us through, among others, the Vienna Acoustics Mahler and Beethoven, Martin-Logan Prodigy, B&W Nautilus 803, Vandersteen 3A Signature, and Sonus-Faber Grand Piano Home.

We ended up with a speaker that wasn't even on our original list: Polk's new LSi-25, which knocked us out with its overall musicality. It is a very high-performance speaker, and an absolute steal. We're still very glad we purchased them. They're terrific for both audiophile music listening (classical, jazz, pop, rock, etc.) and bombastic home-theater use.