1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DUNKIRK (1958)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ernest, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

The 1958 version of DUNKIRK will be released in a digitally restored Blu-ray on September 25th. The movie, starring John Mills and Richard Attenborough, covers the famous retreat of British, French and Canadian forces who were surrounded by the German Army at Dunkirk, France. Many British civilian boat owners sailed across the channel to rescue the surrounded soldiers. The Blu-ray of Dunkirk can be ordered from Amazon.uk.

Dunkirk.jpg

Flashgear and RMajidi like this.
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Many thanks. I didn't know about this.

Flashgear likes this.
  3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I looked up Dunkirk (2017) on IMDB and it lists Nolan as the sole writer, so I'm going to assume the new movie isn't a remake of this one?

Flashgear likes this.
  4. 4 Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Ha, just a new version of the same historical event, but I suppose the new Nolan film is the reason that this is being released. This film is a big favourite of mine, I actually saw it in the cinema, but it must have been on a re-release as I saw it in 1960 or '61. The film starts off quite modest, but gets really epic when it gets onto the Dunkirk beaches. It's supposed to be getting a release in Germany nearly two months before the UK release, but it hasn't shown up on Amazon.de yet.

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/dunkirk-duenkirchen-1958-blu-ray-disc

Flashgear and RMajidi like this.
  5. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    I saw this coming up and was interested but unsure whether it was purely to exploit the interest in Nolan's upcoming film, so thanks for confirming that it's a good film in its own right. I'll get it upon release. (You can rarely go wrong with Mills or Attenborough anyway)

Other works have covered this heroic WW2 event. I recall two coverages in particular: Mrs Miniver of course, and a very moving episode of the outstanding Foyle's War.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

The movie Atonement also takes place during the time of the historical event Dunkirk. James McAvoy dies on the beaches of Dunkirk waiting to be rescued.

RMajidi likes this.
  7. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Is that the one with that amazing long take?

8. gruagach

gruagach Stunt Coordinator

Henry
    There's another Dunkirk film with Jean-Paul Belmondo - Weekend at Dunkirk (1964). It's been eons since I saw it, so I can't say whether it's good or bad.

9. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Yes he uninterrupted shot lasing over 17 minutes is portraying British and Canadian soldiers waiting to be rescued. The French soldiers were holding the advancing German Army at bay while the rescue was taking place.