Dungeon Siege

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Anybody out there given Dungeon Siege a try yet? I keep hearing really great things about it, but I'm always wary as to how much of that is just hype. I'm curious to hear a few HTF'ers opinions on it.

2. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I haven't had much of a chance to play it just yet but my first impression is that it is graphically very impressive. It does appear to be your basic dungeon hack though in a different style than say Diablo. I've felt character level progression is a bit slow, but again I haven't really put a ton of time into it yet. My nephew has played it more extensively and has some major criticisms of it. Most importantly, he tells me the AI is sadly lacking. I did try to play online one time and experienced major lag. Sorry for the rambling nature of this but it is getting late for me [​IMG].

3. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I've been enjoying Dungeon Siege, but I haven't tried out online play yet (I'm also on 100BT, so my experience may not be representative of an average online game).

Technically, Dungeon Siege is fantastic. Great sound and visuals, and the no load time feature is really cool. I find the AI to be above average. It's not Halo great, but 95% of the time your characters will do something reasonable (or find a decent path, if you're trying to move). Character progression seems to start off slightly slower than Diablo 2, but gets closer to Diablo 2 speed as you spend more time. The story is standard faire (I'm about 9-10 hours in).

Ultimately, it doesn't seem to be a Fallout, Baldur's Gate, or Planescape-caliber RPG, but I'm enjoying it. I can't wait to see what people come up with once the Siege Editor is released.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Its ok....for me all it does is make me want Neverwinter Nights just that much more.

5. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I'm not that far into it, but I like it so far. It does look really nice, and I like that it doesn't use a race or class bases system. You get better at certain skills by using them, not by assigning points. I've heard it's sometimes hard to keep your party together, but so far I havent had any major pathfinding issues. But my party is only 3 members + a pack mule.

Brian

6. Adnan Sheikh

Adnan Sheikh Stunt Coordinator

Feels like a simplified(!) version of Diablo 2 to me. Less clicking though!

7. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

Graphically, it's quite impressive, though like most 3rd person games these days it occasionally has some camera issues. Its areas are quite expansive, and as mentioned previously there are no load times, which is nice. Having pack mules travel along with you to add inventory space is a nice solution to that age-old problem.

But the gameplay is pretty disappointing. Think of it as a party-based Diablo without the neat skills as incentives (melee and range weapon characters get no additional 'powers' as the game progresses). And while you can use any skill, you are severely penalized in terms of progressing if you generalize rather than focus on a single skill.

Most of the quests I've seen so far have been rather vague and poorly implemented (at one point you're clearing out a cellar for a guy - I completed the quest and the guy doesn't even acknowledge it). A lot of repetition in the hack & slash department without feeling like you're getting anywhere (and levelling is VERY slow in the beginning).

8. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like I will wait until this one hits the bargain bin.

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

That might be a while, Jason. It looks like it is selling _very_ well.

-Dave

10. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

$29.99 at Circuit City, not bad

11. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

REALLY? That's not bad at all...it's still $50 everywhere else I've seen it.

12. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

The Circuit City price is probably just for this week. I have to run over to EB to get their price matching voucher so I can get a $22 refund good at their stores.

13. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I've only played mutliplayer with my roomates and I thought the game was extremly repedative. Kill mosters, raise levels, kill monsters, raise levels, little story, kill monsters, raise levels, etc. I'm into RPGs and character building but I still found it a little boring at times. It is extremly like Diablo 2. That being said... I did like it for the most part, it just didn't live up to my expectations.

One of my roomates has been building us up for this and Neverwinter Nights for months and after all that buildup this game was good but a bit of a letdown. Perhaps if it ever comes out Neverwinter Nights live up to the hype.

Summary.... if you liked Diablo 2 and dont mind playing a game that is similar you'll love DS.

-Marshall

14. Brian Girard

Brian Girard Agent

I bought Dungeon Siege yesterday at Best Buy for $39.99. This week they also have where you can send in for a $10 gift card if you buy the game. As for how the game plays. I have no clue. It refuses to run on my machine more than two minutes at a time. I keep getting exception errors. After reading the various forums this is a common problem that's supposed to be adressed by the upcoming patch.

15. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I put a good 50-60 hours into multiplayer Dungeon Siege (haven't really even touched SP yet). I like it very much. The engine an very very impressive, and it is fun to travel around with your buddies.

But as stated before, it is a little thin. In MP, the quests aren't even worth completing, and so it turns into travelling from town to town fighting harder monsters, seeing new environments, and leveling up your character.

There are some cool items, and monsters, and Chris Taylor has put in quite a number of things you probably won't expect (Flamethrower, Chaingun, the secret Chicken Level etc) and the higher level spells are also quite impressive.

But I've already gona back to my RTS games, and will probably get to the Single player sometime in the next few weeks.

Once the editing tools are released next month, we might see some neat little things for it that should breath some new life into the game though. Quake 3 is pretty damn thin by itself too.

16. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

For those interested in the game but still unsure, there's now a demo available at download.com.

17. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
  18. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I really think this game is garbage and uninstalled it after a 6-8 trial run. It has good graphics, but it is VERY slow to level up if you're a magic user playing with a melee fighter. I had 239 kills to my buddies 600+.

19. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

One really annoying thing that I noticed was that your characters don't seem to get any experience unless they do damage, so if you have a healer in your party, levelling will be VERY slow.

I finished the single player and I do have to say it gets better as you play a bit (particuarly past the first dungeon with all of the spiders, which is just painful). The graphics get truly astounding in places, but in the end, it's not enough to compensate for the brain-dead gameplay (combat is so automated that the only thing I really needed to do was switch my mages spells back and forth between healing and combat and make sure that guys didn't run too far ahead).

20. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Peter,

It seems to me that everytime you cast a spell in a school of magic, you get credit towards that school...regardless of whether it does damage. For example, I use "Burn Corpse" on everything to help my Combat Magic guy level up quicker. So, I believe a character could be a straight healer and still level up.