What's new

Dungeon Seige, Elder Scrolls III, or Neverwinter Nights? (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm going to go to Best Buy tonight to pick up next RPG game in a LONG LONG time. To give you an idea the last series of games I went through, and They are still my favorites, the Quest for Glory series. I was also a big King's Quest fan. Anyway, I havent touched an RPG since then. Dungeon Seige caught my eye right away since the visuals are very appealing. Although I'm not sure how the game plays or the actual mechanics of it, although I am partial to alot of the lush backgrounds and the like. Elder Scrolls III looks good to me, and I'm assuming the game is very exploring like? Where you can do what you want? However, it seems dark, from the shots Ive seen, not alot of color, although it may just be me. Now, on to Neverwinter Nights. The game looks very very good, and I'm going broadband within the week, and I heard the single player game is very good. What are your opinions?

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd avoid Dungeon Siege. The story is severely lacking, and the AI and UI are less than polished. If this style of game interests you, check out Diablo or Diablo 2. Both are excellent, life sucking games.

I haven't had any experience with ES3 or NN, hopefully someone else can chime in on these.

T

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
All three are excellent. Dungeon Siege is a very polished, but somewhat shallow, point-and-click RPG. It is very linear, but a fun game. There's a demo available on the net, it'd be worthwhile to check it out. Neverwinter Nights is very similar in layout and style, but is much deeper (at least so far - I haven't had too much time to play it). Morrowind is a very different beast from the other two. The camera is either first person or right behind the character (DS & NWN have a free roaming camera), and the game is much more open-ended. So open-ended that many people don't even know what is the main story. You really have the ability to do whatever you want.

Also, of the three, Dungeon Siege seems to be the most forgiving in required system specs, and is still a helluva looker.

-Dave

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I'd avoid Dungeon Siege. The story is severely lacking, and the AI and UI are less than polished.
The problem with the game is the AI and UI are TOO polished. DS practically plays itself. They spent to much effort making the game slick, and not enough on giving it an interesting story or making it fun.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Dungeon Siege: Arcade action. Perfect user interface. Repetitive and can get boring. Some people get bored sooner than others. I got bored after 20 hours of play. :frowning:
Morrowind: Completely open-ended. You can do whatever you want. May be difficult for the gamer to focus on the story because of the bilwildering array of options you can take. People who cannot deal with too many choices in real life probably won't want to escape into a world where there are just as many choices...Not a suitable replacement for beer! Requires a huge commitment on the part of the gamer. I'll never have the time to play this game, and I want a life too! :)
Neverwinter Nights: In between Dungeon Siege and Morrowind. Copy-protection issues are preventing a very vocal minority from playing the game. The poor pathfinding is extremely annoying at times. If you have an ATI video card, you may have a difficult time getting the game to run smoothly. A good balance between all-out hack-and-slash and more subtle strategy (hack and slash without hacking and slashing! :) ).
I like NWN, even with some of its niggly problems. Combat is more satisfying than DS, and I don't need to sacrifice my first-born (if I ever get one) to show my devotion, unlike Morrowind!

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Max's post above about his summaries of the three games. Each are darn good in their own way, but Neverwinter seems to be the best balanced between them.

PC Gamer Magazine had a good 198MB demo on their CD-ROM a couple of issues back of Dungeon Seige. I did install and play through the demo to get a feel for rather or not I wanted it. It's certainly not a bad game, but is almost totally arcade (point-and-click) in style to an endless point. After all the clicking, I really started looking for something in between.

I'm playing Neverwinter right now, and I would expect a patch soon to resolve some of the minor issues. On my system it plays perfect and I have no problems (AthalonXP 1.5 GHZ, 512MB RAM, Windows XP, Gforce3 graphics card).

Happy gaming!

Jeffrey

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I really liked Dungeon Siege to start with, but after an hour or so of play, realised: This is just Cannon Fodder with better graphics! Don't get me wrong, I really liked Cannon Fodder at the time, but it had much better puzzles than DS does, and CF didn't let you just sit back and let the player AI do all the fighting for you.

Plus, DS doesn't have that funky song at the start, either...

Jeremy Brown

Agent
After playing all 3, at least a little bit, I have to say that NWN manages to keep my attention the best. There are a few issues, but nothing that prevents me from playing. The prospect of being able to create modules and play with my friends gives me a big giddy feeling inside.

In all, I think you would be happy playing any of them, but I think that NWN has the most potential for keeping you entertained for the longest, and therefore the best investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks