Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Title: Dune

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Stellan Skarsgård, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Dave Bautista, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Charlotte Rampling, Stephen Henderson, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Gloria Obianyo, Babs Olusanmokun, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Paul Bullion, Charlie Rawes, Balázs Megyeri, Peter Sztojanov Jr., Oliver Ryan, Stephen Collins, Björn Freiberg, Ferenc Iván Szabó, István Aldott

Release: 2020-12-17

Plot: A mythic and emotionally charged hero's journey, "Dune" tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence - a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential - only those who can conquer their fear will survive.

Paramount has found a new director for its remake of the sci-fi classic Dune, after Peter Berg dropped off the project in October. The studio has hired Taken helmer Pierre Morel to oversee the movie. Paramount is currently looking for a new writer to incorporate Morel’s vision of the project into the original draft by Quantum of Solace scribe Josh Zetumer. Morel plans to make a very faithful adaptation of the 1965 book by Frank Herbert. The movie is a high priority for Paramount’s production chief Adam Goodman. Kevin Misher and Richard Rubinstein are producing.
Well, that's kind of a surprise. I admit, I prefer the SciFi 2000 miniseries. but on DVD, it's just over 6 hours long.. I love the book, and series, and kept rooting for SciFi to make "God Emporer" but I can't figure out how in any method you translate this political/spy thriller/scifi/messianic film into much more then the 1984 film... that is if you condense to 2 hours..

Will be interesting.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
EEP!

I'm OK with this as long as he doesn't bring Luc Besson aboard. I'm hoping most of what I didn't like about Taken was Besson and what I did like was Morel. I hope they don't schlock up the script.

I'd guess this could be a movie well over 2 hours screentime by the time it's released. Maybe not 3 hours, but longer than Lynch's attempt.

Actaully, I prefer the Lynch movie, flaws 'n all, to the miniseries. I doubt we'll get anything so brilliant and visionary this time around, but it'll probably be a lot more coherent and accessible. Certainly digital FX make it a much more reasonable proposition financially than back in the day. If it's successful, I can see other books of the series following.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I think the SciFi miniseries captured the book very well and even with 6 hours a few things were cut. I don't see how they really could improve upon the mini-series unless they are going to make this a 2-part movie. The main issue people seemed to have with the miniseries was the very apparent "we're on a stage" outdoor shots and that could be improved by the movie but not if it is cut down to 3 hours. The Lynch version changed too many things and made no sense if you hadn't read the book.

I would think instead of re-re-making Dune, they would go to the prequel House of [family] series. Those are pretty basic plot lines about politics and power that I think more people could relate to. Plenty of action/adventure in each to make a good trilogy that lead into Dune.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I'll just add that I still hold out hope for Lynch to offer an extended/special/director's cut of his Dune. At this point I know it's a huge longshot, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I don't think Lynch got enough of what he wanted onto celluloid for us to ever see a true "director's cut". You can't make what isn't there. Well never see what he ultimately intended.

The extended edition is just that, extended, not a directors choice. But I'd still rather watch Lynch's flawed Dune than the miniseries (horrendous Toto soundtrack and all), which though competently executed lacks poetry of any sort..

Joe:C

Second Unit
I don't think Lynch got enough of what he wanted onto celluloid for us to ever see a true "director's cut". You can't make what isn't there. Well never see what he ultimately intended.

True enough and definitely a long shot of him ever touching this movie again. But I'll still have my fingers crossed.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Originally Posted by Claire Panke

The extended edition is just that, extended, not a directors choice. But I'd still rather watch Lynch's flawed Dune than the miniseries (horrendous Toto soundtrack and all), which though competently executed lacks poetry of any sort..
(shrugs shoulders) I rather liked the TOTO score...better than you would expect coming from the guys who brought you Rosanna, Brian Eno's little piece was good as well.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I liked the Toto score as well.

As flawed as it is, I prefer the Lynch film to the miniseries. Lynch's film was messy but it somehow captured more of the vibe I felt while reading the novel while the miniseries was more faithful but the tone and casting felt way off to me.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I am surprised at how many prefer the movie to the miniseries. I saw the movie first and the "killing word" and heart plugs were kind of cool, that is until I read the book about a year before the miniseries came out. The book is more about politics, leadership, giant conspiracy theories, and someone gaining the power of true prophecy. Those were done very well in the miniseries but it lacked the spectacle of the book. I watched the movie again after the miniseries and I had a hard time following it. The movie was all spectacle and very little substance. The movie also had core changes like the "killing word", heart plugs, and Paul becoming a god rather than having the gift of prophecy. I don't think these changes were in the spirit of the book but are interesting in their own alternate universe Dune.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I admit, I had trouble with the Lynch movie right off the bat because of major book changes... some you mention, others (Weirding modules?) and the like just seemed.. goofball. Part of what I loved about the miniseries was how in tune it was with the books. I really enjoyed the miniseries, a lot.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Pretty ballsy to make Dune in the current cultural context in which it will exist. Son of privilege joins up with desert-dwelling terrorists and brings down an empire -- sound familiar?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Will_B

Pretty ballsy to make Dune in the current cultural context in which it will exist. Son of privilege joins up with desert-dwelling terrorists and brings down an empire -- sound familiar?
While Dune was modeled after the Middle East by Frank Herbert, it is easy enough to make it look like local natives being abused by a giant corporation owned by one family. A new friendly corporate family takes over and wants to treat the natives properly but are overthrown by the evil corporate family. The surviving member wants revenge and seek independence for the planet from the universal multinational corporation. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Now whether someone see parallels between House Harkonnen and any current Earth government is their business. Audiences root for "terrorists" all the time as long as they are portrayed as the good guys against the bad guys. Robin Hood, the V series, and Total Recall are just a few examples.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And V for Vendetta. But the desert vistas aren't a problem for ...well ok, Total Recall had deserts too. Fair enough.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I kind of wish that instead of Dune, they'd gone for David Gerrold's War Against the Ch'torr ("A Matter For Men") series. Giant caterpillars instead of giant worms. Giant red, man-eating -- car-eating, pretty much anything that fits in their mouths eating -- caterpillars. (It is actually quite scary, as an alien ecosystem invades earth, and despite military efforts that kill some of the more obvious creatures, it is ultimately an attack that the military cannot win.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Having read all the books multiple times, and seen and bought the mini series and film in multiple formats, I may decide this time to just “dune” out. I almost just bought the 3D Blu ray from A.uk.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe they're actually moving forward with this. I would have figured this project was dead after the disappointing box office of Blade Runner 2049. And Dune is way more complicated. Compounding that, the original BR was eventually reevaluated and now stands as a respected, seminal sci fi film. Dune, not so much.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Everyone is looking for the next big franchise these days. Dune and its sequels are ripe for the picking if they can make it work. Obviously the money people are willing to take the chance. There's plenty of material to mine here, and Villeneuve is the perfect guy for this IMO.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can't believe they're actually moving forward with this. I would have figured this project was dead after the disappointing box office of Blade Runner 2049. And Dune is way more complicated. Compounding that, the original BR was eventually reevaluated and now stands as a respected, seminal sci fi film. Dune, not so much.

Yes, but Blade Runner started out as a single novel, and not nearly as renown as Dune. Herbert's Dune series is probably the most beloved series in all of science-fiction literature.

Sure, none of the adaptations of Dune have been great. The 1984 movie was a disappointment and the 2000 mini-series, while good, didn't go far enough in doing the book justice.

I am glad to see Villeneuve directing. If anyone can crack this nut, it's him. That said, I do not expect blockbuster status from a Dune film. It's too dense for modern audiences, with a lot of politics and multiple subplots going on. That makes it a good read; not sure it makes a good movie.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks