Dune (1984) question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by doug zdanivsky, Nov 16, 2002.

1. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I've hear there's an extended version out there.
    That's not this one, is it?
    http://www.absound.ca/music/dvd/dvd.html
    I hope not. Any extended version of this film would be welcome.. Loved the feel of the film, captured the vibe of the book (if not the content) ALOT better that that dry, ridiculously-costumed miniseries..

2. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Shoot.. That link didn't work.

Please type in "Dune" in the search column on the page of the link, and you'll see the one I'm talking about..

Thanks!

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's the DVD of the theatrical version.
    The "extended" cut was made for TV, and Lynch hated it so much that he wouldn't allow his name to be used. Some people here seem to like it. IMO, it's a travesty.
    Note, too, that the "extended" cut has only been released in P&S, which makes sense when you consider that it was made for TV.
    It used to be available on an expensive Japanese LD set. To my knowledge, it's never been released on DVD (added later: I should have said "in region 1" [​IMG] ). I don't know about VHS.
    M.

4. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

If you have a region free player, you can get the Japanese version, or the German Paradise Edition (a three disc set with both cuts and a bunch of extras).
    If you don't have a region free player, you can tape it off the Sci-Fi channel. They air it about once a year.

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Randall,

Do you know how the German version is? With both versions of the film, it might be nice to have. Is it German subbed and are the subs removeable?

6. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The extended cut is also out in R2 and R4 with a snazzy cover. I hope Universal does a "Legend" treatment someday with both cuts in widescreen. One of these days I'm going to assemble my ideal version, widescreen except for the additional segments which will by necessity be P&S. The R2 also has the best cover [​IMG]

8. Todd Terwilliger

On that comparision, regarding the German 3-disc set, by "forced" I take it that means the German subs can't be turned off?

9. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    So, it's bad?..

What were the extended scenes of?

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It isn't just a question of extended scenes. Some things were cut (deemed too violent for TV), and the entire prologue with the princess's monologue was replaced by a longer and (IMO) truly awful narration that was supposed to be easier to follow.

The only added scene I can remember is a short one that shows the Fremen gathering the water of life. There are others, but I can't remember them; it's been years since I saw the TV version.

M.

11. Jeff Kleist

On my side, I very much prefer the visual style of the extended prologue, rather than Irulan's noggin sitting there on screen. Maybe the ideal would be a marriage of the 2? [​IMG]
    The awful narration is one of the only downsides of the extended version

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    MHO on the so-called "TV edit" of Lynch's Dune is similar to Steve's: I loved the additional scenes added back in, in particular the drowning of the baby worms to create the Water of Life; absolutely hated the narration and the cheesy sketches used as placeholders/backgrounds while the narration was going on. I never thought there was anything wrong with Irulan's talking head as the opening scene. must say I didn't notice deletion due to violenece though.

14. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Apparently, Lynch got a bad taste in his mouth during the production of Dune. He turned down Universal's offer to oversee the extended version, hence the use of the "Alan Smithee" name over his in the credits.

Universal will mostly likely never release the extended version on DVD in Region 1. Any copy of it you've seen in Region 1 is a bootleg. Your best bet is to record it the next time it is on the Sci Fi Channel (it was just on earlier this month).

You can also pretty much forget any kind of a SE release of the theatrical cut. Lynch has pretty much disowned this movie.

15. Jeff Kleist

Frankly, I find the Heart Plug sequence a stupid unnecessary invention of a scene. I'm HAPPY it's cut out of the TV version.

16. Todd Terwilliger

I am on the polar opposite: I love the heart plug. It's become a part of the lore of my group of friends.

17. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

I believe there is also the fight scene between Paul and the one fremen guy. Janus or something like that, iirc. I remember seeing that scene in the tv version, and then watched the movie version many years later wondering if I had imagined that scene in the movie. Only after learning the truth of the different versions did I realize why my memories didn't match up.

18. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Hmmm.. I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for the TV version, and make my decision, then..
    But I'll tell you right now the heart-plug scene isn't my favorite.. [​IMG]

19. Jeff Kleist

Yes, the fight with Jamis and the aftermath is missing from the theatrical cut. A very important scene

20. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I've heard that the "extended television" version of "Dune" has only ever been released in pan & scan, not only because that's a natural formate for a "television" release, but also because part of the extended running time includes the repetition of certain scenes two or even three times, hidded by the fact that they're cropped differently each time.

I've never actually seen it, so I was hoping someone who is more intimately familiar with the film and its various incarnations might be able to confirm or deny this information.

Thanks.