Dumping IE & Outlook Questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Carl Miller, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

In terms of the frequency of getting hit with malware, backdoor trojans, virus, worms and all that stuff...how much of a difference would it make to replace IE with Firefox and OE with Thunderbird?

I've got Norton, Zonealarm and all the necessary Windows updates except one which rendered Excel useless to me and still got hammered last week with a backdoor trojan which disabled Nortons LiveUpdate and access to their site among others.

I'm fed up with this stuff, but going to a Mac or Linux isn't an option at this time.

If making these changes would be helpful, is there anything I need to know about removing IE and OE? I've heard horror stories about uninstalling these things.

Thanks for any info provided!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Uninstalling IE and OE is basically impossible, but just don't use them. Set your new programs as the defaults for those applications and don't use IE and OE. I use Mozilla for all my web browsing. I still use Outlook. 99% of your spyware/adware comes in through browsing, not e-mail. One of the biggest things about Mozilla or FireFox that helps battle these things is the pop-up blocker which is included. Anyway, I used to have to remove 10-20 peices of adware each week. Since switching to Mozilla I remove a couple peices each month. Doesn't completely solve the problem, but it helps a lot of it. It's also a much faster browser with tabbed browsing (once you use tabbed browsing you'll never go back).

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I second that, DOWN WITH IE! I went to Opera a month ago because of the F'ing popups that don't stop. Opera or Mozilla is the way to go. Both are faster and have way more customization and control. You can "remove" IE in the "Add/Remove System Components" windows. Was at work today using IE and I got so fed up with it I downloaded and installed Opera there too.

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Thanks guys! I really like Firefox so far, and I'm already used to it after all these years with IE. It is faster and more secure it seems, so IE is history on my computer. Don't know if I'll try and remove IE though...the horror stories of removing it worry me. Wayne, did you remove IE successfully?

Thunderbird is a little clunky, but I'm gonna stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

This stuff really has me annoyed. Zonealarm's most recent update rendered bit torrent downloading (legal music, DMB, Grateful Dead etc) impossible. Norton didn't detect a backdoor trojan on my computer until after the trojan did it's damage. And every time I install a Microsoft security patch, it screws something else up. OE takes about 3 minutes to load now, and Excel is now littered with runtime errors since my last MS patch install.

I dream of a Microsoft free future.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Uninstalling IE isn't a viable option really; if nothing else, you need it to go to the Windows Update site frequently. That won't work with any other browser (because no other browser will give Microsoft enough access to your machine to make Windows Update work... [​IMG] )

I've been using Opera for a long time now, further fortified by Proxomitron to filter out banner- and other ads, cookies and other unnecessary stuff from web pages and haven't seen any spyware install on my computer yet.

Well, except for when I first did a fresh install of my computer and didn't have Opera; foolishly I used IE to surf to a few sites, and then had to spend an hour playing with "hijackthis" and Spybot S&D to get rid of the crud that got installed...

You guys see this?

U.S. Steers Consumers Away From IE

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively on my PC. And as soon as I can save some money, a brand spanking new G5 Mac will be mine. After using 95, 98, and XP over the years, I think I'm done with Windows.

7. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Not really. It can never be "fully" removed, but it is "uninstalled" by deselecting it in the Windows components menu. If I launch Windows Update it does open with IE. Thats the only time it's used.

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've been reading more and more about this "don't use IE" trend, and am still not sure about it. Basically, isn't the whole point of not using IE to get onto a browser/platform that people aren't trying to hijack? As soon as more people make the switch, you're going to start seing more and more firefox/opera/etc exploits, which basically brings you back to square one, correct?

Still, I might have to give firefox a chance at some point soon, just to see if there are any features that I'd like to have that IE just doesn't support. I ended up dumping netscape because of the crappy multiple window support-maybe there's a killer feature in Firefox that I'll need.

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I personally have fallen in love with tabbed browsing and have a difficult time using IE on school computers without it. The built-in popup blocker is also great.

10. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Yeah, this is a great feature. WordPerfect has had something like this for years, and typically MS Word rips off every new WordPerfect innovation. So I'm surprised MSFT has never incorporated this feature into their products.

11. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The problem with IE isn't just that it's the largest target, the problem is that it has had security hole after security hole in it and is darn near insecure by design.

Opera has had a few discovered and those have been patched pretty much instantaneously.

12. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That's certainly possible, but most numbers I've seen give Apple anywhere from 2%-5% and Linux anywhere from 3%-6%.

13. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

SethH,

My mistake. I meant IE had a 96% market share -- I just heard this number quoted on NPR last week.

14. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Obviously, this can be used for better and for worst. But since everyone has access to the source code, the problems are fixed much faster with open source.

Although I only use Firefox, the rest of my family is stuck on IE since it is what they are used to (and my sister goes to a website that doesn't work well with Firefox). On the other hand, everyone in the family uses Thunderbird for email because they recently got DSL and I set it up before they even knew about the mess that is OE. It's really weird how it all comes down to what you used first for so many people.