Dummy attempting to calibrate TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan L, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Jonathan L

Jonathan L Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I have a Sony WEGA 27FS100 that you can't pry me away from. I picked up the Ovation Sound & Vision HT Tune Up disc...my question is regarding Contrast/Picture. All of the other calibrations are fine, but I don't think I completely know what I'm looking for during the contrast test.

As it stands, my contrast is set fairly high (over the 50% mark on the slider), while brightness and sharpness are below the 50% mark and match up with the test patterns quite well.

Could somebody explain what I need to be looking for while setting contrast? I understand that I need to be looking for "blooming" in the test pattern, but even with the contrast turned all the way up, the pattern never appears to "bloom".

Thanks!
    Jon

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The test tells you where not to set the contrast, not where you really need to set it.

You need a light meter to actually do it right.

However ... because you don't have that ... use the following rules of thumb ...

50% or less
    And if it hurts/irritates your eyes to look at the 100 bright white pattern ... then your contrast is too high.

Regards

3. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if S&V has a "Gray Steps" pattern, as I use AVIA, VE, and various signal generators.
    If so, use that to see a defined difference in the steps, particularly at 80 to 90, and 90 to 100.
    The idea is to not crush white details by having Contrast too high. If you can't tell with a Needle Pulse pattern due to no change in the pattern despite contrast level, then
    use the steps. If they are not present on S&V, it might be time to step up to AVIA in preparation for your next display device.

4. Jonathan L

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your help. I went back and dialed the contrast down to 50%, and worked from there. The S&V disc does indeed use a step/bar pattern. After turning the contrast down, I see what you are talking about...a much more defined delineation between the bars. I also immediately noticed the "softness" of the image as compared to previously. I'll have to throw in some of my movies and take a look, but the image already looks a lot more natural.

Thanks again!

Jon

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    You should also redo your brightness setting after doing the contrast since that will likely change along w/ contrast.

_Man_

6. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

It would not change if the set has decent DC Restoration and was properly set to begin with. The point where Black Level is set at is the reference for the dynamic range offset that Contrast creates.

7. Jonathan L

I did check the brightness test pattern, and no adjustment was necessary.

Thanks again!

-Jon