What's new

Dumbo DVD recall (1 Viewer)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
A store in my area informed me that they had the Dumbo DVD in stock (in the back because street date is 10/23). However, they said they had to send them back because they were being recalled. Replacement copies were being shipped and hopefully would be there in time to make the street date. He even showed me the notice. However, it did not state if they were being recalled because of a flaw in the disk or if they were adding or removing content. Strange.

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
Disney probably found some last minute interest group that was offended by something in the movie. I think the PAEBE group (People Against the Exploitation of Big Ears) complained and as a result Disney must digitally alter Dumbo's ears to reflect modern sensitivities.
Sorry folks, but after seeing the "guns-to-cell phone" changes in ET, I'm really pessimistic these days.
rolleyes.gif

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
No wait, I just now learned that the PAPAEBE organization (the People Against the People Against the Exploitation of Big Ears) has successfully challenged PAEBE's complaints with Disney and now Disney has decided to reredigitize Dumbo's ears back to their original size. Apparently, Disney agreed to keep the ear size from the original production as long as the PAPAEBE organization agreed to publicly insult law enforcement agents who carry guns and space cowboys who are prone to shoot bounty hunting outlaws before being fired upon first.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
--Edited "will arrive" to "arrived" and added comments about disc--
The dealer has the discs in stock (prior to street date). The store claims the discs being recalled, reprinted, and back in the stores by street date (ie in 4 days)? I know the dealer said hopefully and has a "notice", but sounds to me like an attempt to avoid questions and requests to break street date. Especially if they go on sale on the 23rd.
biggrin.gif

My copy arrived today.
cool.gif

Watched the disc and saw no reason for a recall. Movie played flawlessly. Makes me more convinced about my guess above.
[Edited last by Rich P on October 20, 2001 at 09:12 PM]

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What's with this release? I thought this was scheduled as an upcoming Platinum title for much later.
No, Dumbo isn't one of the elite 10 placed in the Platinum program. They are:
Snow White
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Bambi
The Little Mermaid
Cinderella
Lady and the Tramp
101 Dalmatians
The Jungle Book
Everything else is fair game...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Brad M

Second Unit
I work for 5 radio stations in Tulsa and we got our copies last Thursday. They have not called and told us to hold onto them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks