What's new

Blu-ray Review Dumbo: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Dumbo was Walt Disney’s fourth animated feature film, and in many ways it constituted a landmark for the company. With it, Disney and his animators proved that an animated feature film could pack all of the possible entertainment value consistent with his previous films (humor, drama, terrific music, eye-popping visuals), feature a title character who never utters a word and yet is as expressive and endearing as any Shakespearean character, and all of this could be fit into a concise package that barely runs an hour and could be made for less than a million dollars (something that couldn’t be said for any of his previous three animated features). Dumbo was and is one of the zeniths of feature animation, and its boldly imaginative conception and execution leaves many animated films then and now in the proverbial dust.

Dumbo (Blu-ray Combo Pack)
Directed by Ben Sharpsteen

Studio: Disney
Year: 1941

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 64 minutes
Rating: G
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1; Dolby Digital 2.0 mono English, 5.1 French, Spanish
Subtitles: SDH, French, Spanish

Region: A-B-C

MSRP: $39.99

Release Date: September 20, 2011

Review Date: September 20, 2011

The Film

5/5

Though the stork (Sterling Holloway) is late bringing her bundle of joy to Mrs. Jumbo as the circus is already on its way to its first gig after winter hiatus, she’s enchanted with her new baby elephant. When the other elephants in the pack get a look at the enormous ears on the baby, however, they dub him “Dumbo” and mercilessly berate him. When a group of young circus patrons also harass the young pachyderm,  Mrs. Jumbo goes on a rampage causing her to be locked up as a mad elephant and separated from her offspring. Timothy Q. Mouse (Edward Brophy) takes matters into his own hands to rehabilitate the young elephant’s image by making him a star, but every idea he has seems to backfire. Finally, after innocently imbibing some spiked water from a nearby tub, the inebriated Dumbo and Timothy learn of an ability the young elephant has that neither had ever suspected.

The storytelling is straightforward and unvarnished by any sidetracks (some might think it’s too abrupt as a couple of scenes fade out without much warning), but its utter simplicity gives way to an animators’ field day as each sequence offers unforgettable opportunities for dazzling animation often to a delightfully varied score (which won 1941’s Oscar for scoring of a musical picture). You won’t find many jollier ways to get a story jumping than to the jaunty “Casey Junior” as the circus train heads down the tracks, and the “Song of the Roustabouts” shows a sophisticated rhythmic pulse that shows the hard work behind the dazzle and color of the Big Top. Three other scenes, however, really define Dumbo. There aren’t many more iconic scenes in movies than the one where Mrs. Jumbo cradles her child while the enchanting lullaby “Baby Mine” plays on the soundtrack. The facial expressions and body language that the animators imbue their characters with in this sequence goes beyond mere drawing and approaches something much more ethereal and heartfelt. The “Pink Elephants on Parade” sequence, putting drunkenness into animated form in a surreal spectacle of color, shapes, and shadows, is matchless in the Disney archive even when the animators tried similar things in later films like The Three Caballeros and Alice in Wonderland. And the cocky crows' strut to “When I See an Elephant Fly” brings humor and panache to a moment in the movie when it needs some uplift gearing the audience up for the climactic surprises.

As amazing as the voice actors are in the movie (it was Sterling Holloway’s first foray into Disney but definitely not his last; Verna Felton as the leader of the harpy elephants, Cliff Edwards as one of the crows, Edward Brophy’s plucky Brooklyn-esque bravado as Timothy Mouse), what’s more impressive is how much the animators are able to convey with muted looks, facial expressions, and animated posing. These characters are as real as any ever created, and their actions (sometimes mean-spirited, sometimes egocentric, sometimes well meaning) reflect human society about as well as any movie featuring animals ever has. That’s the true genius of Dumbo.

Video Quality

4.5/5

The film’s original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.33:1 is preserved (as is the RKO title card for those who are interested) in this 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. Comparing this to the first DVD release (which was the only one I had on hand) is like a night and day difference. Contrast is much more solid, and it doesn’t cause a hazy colored mist to fall over the image as before, colors are truer and more richly delivered without ever going too bright, and sharpness is much better overall. Though there is no obvious banding in those blue skies, there seemed to be just a trace of it late in the film, and some anomalies in the water coloring can occasionally be glimpsed showing how truly sharp and clear the image is. The film has been divided into 17 chapters.

Audio Quality

4/5

The disc offers a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound mix from original elements along with a restored Dolby Digital 2.0 mono mix for those who wish a historical audio track experience. The 7.1 mix has not been tricked out with extraneous obviousness. Music occasionally finds its way into the fronts and rears, and the several thunderstorms that happen during the movie provide the most obvious use of the rear channels for the rain and thunder effects. Overall, the audio track has a monaural presence despite the reworked sound, and it fits the unpretentious film just fine that way. No age-related artifacts like hiss or crackle are anywhere to be heard.

Special Features

5/5

The viewer may choose to watch the film with Cine-Explore, Disney’s picture-in-picture video commentary featuring hosts Pete Docter (from Pixar), Disney historian Paula Sigman, and veteran Disney animator Andreas Deja commenting on the movie through a succession of PiP windows showing original artwork, film clips, and other aids to supplement their discussion. Occasionally vintage interviews with Disney artists will also pop up to explain certain sequences.

Disney View allows the viewer to choose colored art panels to take the place of the pillarbox black bars during the viewing of the film.

“Taking Flight – The Making of Dumbo is a 28-minute documentary on the making of the film where current animators and historians describe what about the film made it so different from Disney’s other animated classics from this period. It’s in 1080p.

“The Magic of Dumbo: A Ride of Passage” is a 3 ¼-minute look at the Dumbo ride at the Disney theme parks showing its evolution over the years. This is in 1080p.

“Celebrating Dumbo is the vintage 15-minute documentary from previous DVD releases featuring Leonard Maltin and a host of Disney experts extolling the virtues of the movie. It’s in 480i.

The deleted scene “The Mouse’s Tale” recalls a story Timothy tells Dumbo after his upsetting debut as a clown with vocals over some animated storyboards. It runs 5 ½ minutes in 1080p.

The deleted song “Are You a Man or a Mouse?” is sung by Timothy and again uses illustrations and storyboards over the voice track in this 4 minute, 1080i presentation.

An excerpt from The Reluctant Dragon finds Robert Benchley finding out how a sound effects department works as they add effects for a cartoon about a train. This vintage clip runs 6 minutes in 480i.

Walt Disney’s original introduction to Dumbo on his television series is shown in a 1 minute 480i presentation.

Two trailers are offered for viewing: the 2 ¼-minute original and the 1 ¼-minute 1949 reissue trailer.

Eight art galleries for the film covering everything from character conceptions to backgrounds to publicity (and the original Dumbo story) are available for stepping through by the viewer.

Two animated shorts are both presented in 1080p: the 1936 “Elmer Elephant” (8 ½  minutes) and the 1934 “The Flying Mouse” (9 ¼ minutes).

Two family-centered games are available for play. In "What Do You See?" players guess the identity of a character on a time-controlled game. In "What Do You Know?" trivia and facts become important to winning this knowledge-centered game.

The disc contains preview trailers for Spooky Buddies, The Lion King, Chimpanzee, Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Lady and the Tramp.

The second disc in the set is the DVD copy of the movie.

In Conclusion

4.5/5 (not an average)

Dumbo is another great Disney classic that comes to Blu-ray in a beautiful transfer featuring quality video and audio encodes and a welcome variety of new and vintage bonus features. Highly recommended!

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Matt! I hope to be able to get to the store in a day or so to be able to add this to my collection. This one's a no-brainer of an upgrade.

Glad to hear that it looks and sounds so good.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Got it this afternoon. Glad I did. The pastel colors jump off the screen at you, especially at the opening. The sound is great as is the transfer and the Blu-ray is all I hoped it would be, but I would not have bought it without your thoughts Matt. Thanks.

I also watched in the OAR that was offered on the Blu-ray.

Oh and by the way the original RKO credits are there.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Gorgeous transfer on this, one of Disney's most charming features. Also watched the "Cine-Explore" feature and one of the making-ofs. And I got the free Dumbo plush at Best Buy (I know a certain niece who will flip for it).

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
The film's 64-minute runtime is very questionable. Supposedly, the reason for this is because the film was made on a very slim budget due to the second great war.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

The film's 64-minute runtime is very questionable. Supposedly, the reason for this is because the film was made on a very slim budget due to the second great war.

How do you mean "questionable?"

Do you think something's missing or that it has been speeded up? Or, are you saying that Walt and Company should have made a longer film?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I'm not saying anything is missing or sped-up. I'm just saying that I think the short running time may have something to do with the budget Disney had at the time, considering this film was made during World War II.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
64 min of perfect story, great art, , no fluff, and this was the film that rescued the original failure of Fantasia and Pinocchio, shorter run time meant it could play more often. And to be honest i wouldn't or couldn't want for more, its timeless the way it is.and even it had some risk taking in it with the pink elephants sequence, art wise.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

I'm not saying anything is missing or sped-up. I'm just saying that I think the short running time may have something to do with the budget Disney had at the time, considering this film was made during World War II.

Gotcha. I thought you were asking a question about the length of the film.

You are pretty much spot-on about the reason behind the film's length. Here's a quick lift from [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbo]Wikipedia:

Originally it was intended to be a short film,[3] but in 1940, after the financial failures of both Pinocchio and Fantasia Walt decided to expand the story into a feature film to help generate income for the Disney studio. The studio's income had also been negatively impacted due to the war in Europe.[4] Storymen Dick Huemer and Joe Grant were the primary figures in developing the plot. They wrote the script in chapters, much like a book, an unusual way of writing a film script. Regardless of this, very little was changed from the original draft.[5]

When the film went into production in early 1941, supervising director Ben Sharpsteen was given orders to keep the film simple and inexpensive. As a result, Dumbo lacks the lavish detail of the previous three Disney animated features (Fantasia, Pinocchio, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs): character designs are simpler, background paintings are less detailed, and a number of held cels (or frames) were used in the character animation.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Dumbo's speed seems to vary 62,63 & 64mins US speed. It has been said that a couple of minutes has been taken out of the beginning but I a not sure of that. Supposedly the UCLA original nitrate is only 62mins. See DVDSavant on this matter.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Such a great classic piece of animation. My husband and I plan to rewatch again fir the first time :) this weekend. Thanks for the review!

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
moviepas said:
Dumbo's speed seems to vary 62,63 & 64mins US speed. It has been said that a couple of minutes has been taken out of the beginning but I a not sure of that. Supposedly the UCLA original nitrate is only 62mins. See DVDSavant on this matter.
http://cinema.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=3&ti=1,3&Search_Arg=Dumbo&SL=None&Search_Code=FTIT&CNT=50&PID=yYnX3EMyE3QYFFtCLLWfVzYjs&SEQ=20110923122151&SID=1 According to this site, it says that: Playing time on release was 64 min., according to: Film daily yearbook, 1942.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks