What's new

Dumbo 2 -- a total CGI production? Maybe... (1 Viewer)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I wrote an email to Jim Hill asking him if knew the status of Dumbo 2 project. I loathe DTV sequels, but damn if I don't have a catastrophic weakness when it comes to my favorite flying pachyderm.

His response was rather astonishing. In his latest Why For? column (which you can read at http://www.jimhillmedia.com) Jim responsed with:

Ah, yes. "Dumbo 2." This project -- along with "Bambi 2" -- is currently on hold. Why for? Because Disney Television Animation is still trying to decide whether or not it wants to go forward with CG sequels to both of these classics.
I won't reprint the entire response (check out Jim's site, one of the best Disney sites on the web), but he goes on to discuss how Disney even brought in 95-year-old original Dumbo vet Joe Grant to observe some of the test footage. Apparently, they want 21st Century CGI to evoke 1940's pencil animation. Since the tests didn't go all that well, both Dumbo 2 and Bambi 2 (another CGI contender) are on hold.

Even as a DTV sequel, I'm not too sure an all-CGI Dumbo sequel is a good idea. The original Dumbo works so beautifully because of the seriously brilliant character animation utilized throughout the film. A big-budget CGI sequel could barely replicate that; a DTV-budgeted CGI sequel might fall pretty flat.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
This CG issue is tangential to the story issue.

I'd rather see nothing than a bad sequel. Of course, this applies to any movie, but when the original is something as sweet as Dumbo, the crime of putting out a lousy sequel is elevated to a sin. The preview of the making of Dumbo 2 on the Dumbo 60th anniversary DVD sure didn't look good to me (storywise), but I'll reserve judgment since it was just a preview.

-Reagan

Brenton

Screenwriter
Why don't they just give us a ten-second cartoon clip of somebody shooting Dumbo right through the head? That would be less painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonjabe33
Recent bookmarks