What's new

Dumbest....hobby....EVER. (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
So let me see if I've got this right.

These "hobbyists" spend five-figures building a stereo they can't listen to, into a vehicle they can't drive.

All they do is play one note, louder than a 747. Behind heavily modified & shielded car interiors, so that the system doesn't liquify your eardrums.

Wow. :eek:

What a waste of 80,000 bucks, and (to me at least) a phenomenal waste of time. Oh well, to each their own. Frankly, I'd rather spend 80K on shiny silver disks. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Car subwoofers should be made illegal, limiters built in on db and hefty fines for disabling them. You're in a car to drive, not to pound eardrums.

That being said, it reminds me of the classic scene from "The Pest" :)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Interesting sport. Stuff like this doesn't seem so insane anymore... people love to do crazy things.

Now just think if SVS got into this... for the tax writeoff :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And then, think that you look pretty cool doing it?
That's the kicker! Most of these guys see people staring at them and think "Wow! They think I am SO cool!" when we're really thinking "What an idiot!"

It's a total lack of respect for your privilege to drive a car on the road with others. :rolleyes

I hope that guy (from the article) blows his head off with that system :D and the song to do it (of course) would either be "Another one bites the Dust" by Queen, or "Loser" by Beck.

;)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Possibly offensive:

Why don't they just unzip their trousers and compare lengths? Or piss for distance?

I've never understood people's need to compensate.

Lemme know mods and it's gone.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Strange how I never went through the "bigger is better" faze. I've pretty much stuck with a 12" sub in a 2cube sealed enclosure.

We all like to fel the bass, but it must be the right amount and not the most we can afford or fit in the car!!

Brent

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Strange how I never went through the "bigger is better" faze. I've pretty much stuck with a 12" sub in a 2cube sealed enclosure.

We all like to feel the bass, but it must be the right amount and not the most we can afford or fit in the car!!

Brent

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
brentl, There's a difference between the "Bigger and Better" phase and the "Bigger to the point that it absolutely makes no sense" phase ;)

All of us are achieving to get to the biggest and best HT equipment, but we all have limits.

i.e.
1.) The point when the Sub Woofer starts walking across the floor from the vibrations.
2.) Your bleeding ears start causing you to lose a few pints of blood.
3.) The TV is so big that you get whiplash watching car chases on it.

etc.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand how we've wandered off the topic of Db drag and into the systems your average highschooler puts in their civic, Db drag has been around for awhile, and as already mentioned it's not like they can drive the car around and listen to music...

I'd imagine there are people in the world saying the same things about our HT subs ;)

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I think what takes this over the edge is that cars are meant to be driven, as houses are meant to be lived in. We put stuff in our houses that can shake the foundations but still live in them...we don't modify them to the point that they no longer serve their intended purpose, as these people are doing with their cars by turning them in to giant boom boxes on wheels and totally negating what they are made for.

Chris

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think the title of this thread says it all. These guys that db drag race must be extremely bored and lonely.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious to know what the official rules are. It seems like the competitors are going at it backwards. Instead of converting a car into the ultimate enclosure, why not build the ultimate enclosure and convert it into a car?

This isn't really my cup of tea but I get a kick out of watching people push the envelope. I'd just like to know where an 18 year old gets $80k.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
In defense of dB drag racing (which is a sport I take part in) the competitions are held in sanctioned places, usually away from residential areas. Serious participants don't drive their vehicles through town with their music blasting (most of them don't drive their competition vehicle at all). I think some of you are looking at this the wrong way. Outlawing car subs is not an answer. If you can't stand loud noise, don't have subs in your HT, don't own a motorcycle, and never use power tools. Sure there are nozzle-heads who drive past all our houses at 1 in the morning shaking windows. Around here, the local police are more than happy to give that guy a $500 fine for breaking the noise curfew.

I personally have not ran a vehicle in a dB drag show in about 3 years, but I still go to as many as I can for new ideas, to see all the latest toys and meet other people into the hobby. The last one I ran was a Pontiac Sunfire with a single 10" sub which placed 3rd in my class at 140.8dB.

There are lots of prizes and money to be won. There is a large fanbase and these competitions go hand in hand with most major car shows (especially import). The mullethead reference is a bit stretched and the events are far more civil than your average NFL game and, to me, much more interesting. Now football....there's something that should be outlawed for being stupid. :wink:

As for the official rules, they can be found at http://www.iasca.com/ .

David-S

Second Unit
Car subwoofers should be made illegal, limiters built in on db and hefty fines for disabling them. You're in a car to drive, not to pound eardrums.
Home amplifiers bigger than a clock radio should be made illegal, and any speakers larger than 3" as well.. you're in your home to live, not to make noise that coulddisturb people (like me) who live in an apt , cars that can go more than 75 are pointless, so why make them, etc...

I'm not defending assholes with loud systems who disturb the neighborhood, i'm saying let's focus on the assholes, not the systems as the problem... eh?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I'm with Steve. Given that most of these vehicles don't serve their intended function anymore, why use a car at all?? Design and build the ultimate enclosure and put it on wheels. That would make it seem somewhat less insane, if actual cars weren't being overloaded to the point of uselesness.

And Mark? No such thing as too big a TV, you heathen ;):D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks