Dumb Thoughts........Analog or Digital? More advanced?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howie A, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

I was thinking the other day that in a world where
    everything is going to digital, in what case would
    analog be considered more of an advancement in technology?

And then it hit me.

I could only think of a few but here is one that I could not live without...
    Analog Controllers. (i.e. Dual Shock II)

That was not too tough right? For this forum anyway..

2. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Analog sticks can be implemented digitally if you sample at short enough intervals...in fact, this may be how they function currently, I dont' know.

AFAIK, any analog signal can be approximated in digital form if the sampling rate is high enough.

I'm no expert, but thats how I understand it.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well, with SACDs and DVD-A, they're all trying to make a digital format sound ANALOG as possible...

But in most cases, a perfect analog thing is usually better than the same thing in digital.

Say a picture. If you got a super nice non-digital camera and took a picture, then got a digital camera and took a picture, the analog would have 'unlimited' resolution, whereas the digital one has its max resolution depending on its Megapixel rating..

Iunno, thats what i think, it might be wrong :p)

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Analog is better for things like film and audio, but for videogames, it's only good for controllers.

And since this is a section of the forum about videogames, I'd have to agree. Making things more and more analog (like every button on the PS2 controller besides Start/Select) is a good thing. The thing is, not every game will support the analog buttons. Some games look at the buttons as being pushed down or not, while others look at how far they're pushed down.

Either way, we're headed in a good direction in terms of analog implementation in videogames.

5. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

Well, an analog camera doesn't have 'unlimited' resolution. I think the limiting factor is the film. There will be a point in which ccd arrays will be as small as the cones in the eye, and then we won't be able to tell the difference between film and ccds.

As far as controllers, I don't know why they call them analog. Sure, they are analog signals at a early stage, but subsequently they have to sample the signals at some resolution. A button for example, can be sampled at 8-bits of resolution and you would have 256 different pressure readings, more than I can handle I would think.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Human interfaces are better as Analog. Everything else (storage media, display) is better as digital for a number of reasons (for me, at least). Storability, resistance to interference, and reproducability are all benefits to digitization in many instances.

7. EdR

EdR Second Unit

8. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

9. EdR

EdR Second Unit

10. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

I'd have to say an analog sofa is much comfier than a digital one.