What's new

Dumb simple question. Can a girl get pregnant if she's on her period? (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Yes, but not very likely.

A woman can only concieve during ovulation, which is when the egg is released from the ovary. That egg hangs around roughly for 24 hours before it dies. The egg must be fertilized during that 24 hours. Sperm, however, can live in the woman's body up to a week. That means that intercourse a week before ovulation can still result in fertilization.

If a woman ovulates early (the average is day 14), say around day 12, then yes she can get pregnant. If her period is 5 days long and she has intercourse on day 5 and ovulates on day 12, the sperm can still fertilize the egg.

However, the early part of a woman's cycle is hostile towards sperm and ovulation earlier than day 12 is fairly unusual, so pregnancy is not terribly likely. However, not impossible.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Not a question you want to base your birth-control methods on, no matter what the answer is:D ! Trust me, it can lead to many sleepless nights (some quite possibly spent caring for a bambino).

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
According to wife's GYN, she asked this question previously and the answer is yes, she can. The risk is less but still a risk.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
There is an entire class of birth control called the "rhythym method". It involves monitoring a woman's cycle to the point that you know when the is going to ovulate based on temperature and some other bodily changes. Once you know her cycle, there is only a week when you need to abstain or use another method of control.

Becuase it doesn't use pills or devices, this is the method used by people whose religious convictions prohibit the other ways of preventing pregnancy.

If you decide to pursue the matter further, you should speak with a doctor who is trained in this method, as you don't want to make a mistake!

But to answer your question, yes, a woman can possibly get pregnant when she's on her period. It's just less likely.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
This is a prime example of why sex ed should stay in schools. Parents don't teach their children properly or they just don't know.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Not to nitpick, but this method is actually called the Fertility Awareness Method. You basically just use a barrier method during the fertile period. The rest of the time you can do without. Some like to differentiate this from Natural Family Planning, which is the same thing except you abstain during the fertile period (practiced by many whose religion does not allow any form of birth control).

The Rhythm Method is sorta the same thing, except instead of charting [fertility signs and temperature] you just assume you ovulate on Day 14. This is the method that doesn't really work because each woman is different and ovulation can vary from month to month.

There is this HUGE myth out there where people think the Rhythm method is the same thing as FAM/NFP. People are often reluctant to try FAM/NFP because they think they aren't reliable, when it is the Rhythm method that isn't. When practiced correctly, FAM/NFP is very reliable. However, if you're in the position where you absolutely do NOT want children, then you probably want to rely on something else as well.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
/little kid from kindergarten cop on/

boys have a penis, girls have a vagina

/little kid from kindergarten cop off/

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
If a woman can't get pregnant while she's on her period, who gives a damn, I ain't touching her ass while she's on.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the rythm method can be very acurate and stable.. but a lot of people assume it's just clicking a day on a month.. yeah, doing that (NFP) and you're parents. Rythm requires a lot more.. like daily temperature taking, mucus testing, etc. that make it very acurate. But you have to stay on top of it and box off windows or use condoms in those time periods, etc.

I am aware of nurses who use this method with their spouses.. and since they have no children after 5 years, I'll assume it's working well ;)

But, the real method is far too complex for you to get at with just a "casual" relationship.. pretty much unless you're married, I wouldn't give it a whirl ;)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I think there's some confusion in terminology.

From what I've learned:

Rhythm method: picking a day on the calender, 14 days into the cycle

NFP/FAM: charting temperature and cervical mucous/position

But no matter what you call it, the latter is quite reliable while the former is very much the opposite. I think we can pretty much agree on that.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Leila-

correct, I used the wrong term. The method of NFP is detailed, and can be followed adequately. Revolving around cervical position/mucus, body temperature charting, etc.

However, I will stick by my assertion that while very effective, it's effective for a married couple committed to it, and not so much for those who are not in that type of relationship where the need to make sure your charting/etc. is accurate may "fall by the wayside" :)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Oh absolutely! It takes a lot of practice to get used to it and since it takes time to build up a "history", it's not ideal for those one-night stands ;) No seriously, I'd never rely on it outside of a marriage or where the possibility of children is unacceptable. It's just hard to be diligent about it all. But since I've been married and we knew we wanted children, just not right away, we decided to use it.

Regardless of whether we were trying or not, I think it's fabulous information. I honestly think that girls really ought to learn about this stuff. It's so empowering. I mean, a lot of girls and women go through life completely clueless about their bodies. It's really nice to know that the reason you're "late" this month is because you were sick and you ovulated later than usual, not that you're pregnant. And now that I'm facing a lot of infertility issues, its been helpful to go straight to my doc with all my charts instead of having to guess what might be wrong.

Heh, sorry for the mini-rant, but it's something I feel strongly about. (Not sure what telling to a bunch of guys will do, but it can't hurt, I suppose.) :)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Um... Is anyone here scared that this question is being posted on a Home Theater Forum (granted, in the After Hours Lounge)

In terms of women's health related issues, I know my wife goes to a website called ivillage.com maybe that would be a better place for your search.

No offense to those here, but I wouldn't be placing my future in the hands of anyone here when it comes to making a decision like having a baby (or I would guess in your case not having one).

I would also visit Planned Parenthood's site about alternate methods of birth control and their availability in your area and virtually no expense to you.

And the answer to your question, as stated above, is yes a girl can get pregnant while on her period.

I always recommend the pill, followed with condoms if that's something that's going on. I've been married 7 years, my wife an I just had our first baby. My best friend also just had his first baby, though not planned. I know he doesn't love his baby any less than I love mine, but this wasn't something that was on his immediate to do list.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks