Dumb setup question about HD...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt Brighton, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton Stunt Coordinator

May 17, 1999
    I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I just got hooked up with Comcast HD the other day. I'm in the process of moving and I want everything (the sound anyway) to run through my receiver. My receiver won't handle component inputs, just S-Video.

So my question is this: How do I set up my Comcast cable box so that the audio goes through the receiver (thus getting the full 5.1 sound), but while still having the picture run through my TV? I have only one input on my TV that will accept a 1080 signal (the DTV input), so I have the calble box directly hooked up to my TV (but I wanted to involve my receiver for sound purposes).

I'm hoping I don't have to upgrade my receiver!

If anyone has a remote idea as to what I'm talking about, please respond here or email me here.

Thanks to all for any help I can get in advance!
  2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Dec 12, 2002

Run video to the TV as you currently have. Run audio to the receiver.

The only thing now is that the whole setup will be a bit less convenient - you will have to switch the TV to the HD input (assuming that you have other sources), and then the receiver to TV audio. In other words you'll have to switch two devices instead of just one.