1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Pearson, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Gregg Pearson

Gregg Pearson Auditioning

What are preouts and what are they for? Yes, I have no idea what I am talking about..As you can tell, Im new...Thanks...

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Gregg,

It is literally an output that is pre-amp... before the signal is amplified.

So that way, if you wanted to use a receiver to simply decode Dolby Digital, and then pass the individual signals (left, right, center, etc) into your own amplifier, you could do that.

Think of it as a way to bypass the internal amps. The audio signals go through all the processing and whatnot up until the point where it is amplified and sent to the speakers-- and you have some outputs that come right before the amplifier stage which allow you to steal that signal before it is amplified for whatever reason.

The normal reason, as I said above, is to use amps other than the ones built into the receiver (bigger ones, or nicer ones for exmaple).

-Vince