What's new

Dumb question...where did the term "Joe Six Pack" come from? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
The subject says it all.
I understand who J6P is, I just am interested in where this term originated.
Thanks!
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In the maintstream press, not in HT circles, sometime in the '70s, as I recall. It was used as (perjorative) shorthand for "Joe Average", the working-class, blue-color hardhat type embodied by Peter Boyle in the movie "Joe" and later Archie Bunker on television. By extension a not-very-sophisticated consumer, the kind with a VCR that is still flashing zero. Elitist bastards (tm) in the HT community later borrowed the term from the elitist bastards of the press for people who hate "black bars" and can't see the difference between VHS and DVD. :)
I keep trying to get people to change this to "Mike Sixpack", but it is an uphill battle. :)
Regards,
Joe

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Hey, my VCR is still flashing zero... :)
However, it's a piece that was given to me, and it's at least 10 years old, and I can't remember when I last used it!
(It's just an emergency installation, so that I have the ability to play a VHS tape if my life would depend on it, or something like that...)
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks