What's new

Dumb Question That Needs an Answer :) (1 Viewer)

Mike.K

Auditioning
Hi all. Question: Can i run 8ohm and 4ohm speakers in the same setup? I currently have 5 8ohm speakers and havethe chance to add 2 more that are rated at 4ohm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
There are no dumb questions, Mike, just dumb answers. :)

Your receiver is most likely rated for 8 ohm speakers. They can drive 4 ohm loads but keep in mind this will cause the amp to work harder, thus generating more heat.

You should be fine if you don't drive the speakers too hard for too long. In the majority of cases, putting such a load on a receiver will cause it to activate a thermal overload circuit which usually just shuts it off.

Mike.K

Auditioning
Ha! Good point! The speakers in question are a pair of Totem DreamCatcher Monitors. I plan on using them as either my side surrounds or, depending, as my back surrounds.

If i use them as my side surrounds they would be driven by a NAD T763 receiver. If back surrounds they would be driven by either a NAD 2200pe power amp or a Carver Reveiver 900.

Which do you think would be better to drive them?

Thanks very the reply!

Mike

Mike.K

Auditioning
Ha! Good point! The speakers in question are a pair of Totem DreamCatcher Monitors. I plan on using them as either my side surrounds or, depending, as my back surrounds.

If i use them as my side surrounds they would be driven by a NAD T763 receiver. If back surrounds they would be driven by either a NAD 2200pe power amp or a Carver Reveiver 900.

Which do you think would be better to drive them?

Thanks very the reply!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks