What's new

Dumb question on Aspect ratio/HDMI (1 Viewer)

mikeyGA

Auditioning
OK, I have a Hitachi 60V710 widescreen LCD projection TV. I hooked up a Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player using the HDMI connection from the Toshiba into the HD MMI jack (with an adapter) in the Hitachi. Incidentally, right now I am just using the TV for ausio and I get no audio this way, I have to use the L/R RCA jacks to get audio. Anyhow, I set the aspect on the Hitachi to 16.9 and I get the black bars at teh top and bottom when viewing a DVD. It doesn't matter if it is a widescreen DVD or not, I still see them. I thought the widescreen TV would eliminate the black bars. Why do I still see them?

Thanks

Rocky F

Second Unit
Make sure that the DVD player is also set to 16X9. Then check to see if the DVD's are anamorphic or enhanced for widescreen. Lastly, and this is very important, you have to realize that many movies have an aspect ratio or 2:35.1, which is wider than 16X9. In order to watch the film in its original aspect ratio, it will still have black bars on the top and bottom.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I've often wondered, if the HDMI carries analog, digital, DVI-D, and/or the other DVI like VGA computer? Which one(s)?

Generally you won't get top / bottom bars from 1.66:1 to 1.85:1 material on most widescreen tv's.

Anything wider than 1.85:1 and you sure will.

There are different types of DVD's that will have to be delt with.

4:3
Widescreen non-anamorphic (still really 4:3)
and Widescreen anamorphic / Enhanced for widescreen tv's.

Make sure the DVD player is set that you have a 16:9 display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks