What's new

Dumb question of the day (1 Viewer)

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, the area in which I live has power outages several times a year, which in turn causes my preamp/proc. to lose it's memory. Do most current pre/proc's have some sort of memory or battery backup to save settings or is my situation normal?

Thx

RAL

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
My receiver keeps it's memory for a long time, I had it unplugged for a month and it came up with the same settings. My dvd-player can last a few weeks as well.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Most receivers and preamps retain their settings for days, weeks, or even months without power. For a semi-extreme example, I have an old Sony receiver (a Pro-Logic one) I only use for pool parties during the summer. As a result it'll be unplugged for 7-8 months at a time, and it still remembers all its settings. If yours isn't, perhaps something isn't quite right with it.

What pre-pro do you have?

Maybe you should plug it into a UPS so you're not having to set it up from scratch everytime the power goes out.

KJP

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
...that's a very good question, and prompted me to check my manual. I'm sure it varies with the unit/model.
My 2-year-old Yamaha RX-V800 has a memory back-up circuit that "prevents stored data from being lost even if this unit is set in the standby mode, the power cord is disconnected from the AC outlet, or the power supply is temporarily cut due to power failure.'
After a week however, it says the FM presets stations may be cleared.
A UPS bears some investigation. My general knowledge is that it takes a quite large VA unit and the need for a true or pure sine wave on an amplifier and perhaps video monitor (tv/HD-ready RPTV) and these babies can run to $1,000 or more. See what www.tripplite.com offers.
Off-topic, I just noticed that my remote provides a Standby button, which I have never used; perhaps this saves the batteries somewhat.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
There are no dumb questions!
As has already been said, most receivers and pre/pros will keep their settings for quite a long time. Out of curiosity, what brand is yours?

Wayne

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
The preamp in question is a Rotel RTC-970 Dolby PL preamp/processor with an outboard DD/DTS decoder. When the power goes out so do the settings which is annoying to say the least. I am anxious to upgrade by am hung up on the IEEE1394/DVI issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks