Dumb question of the day: Silver TV cabinet distracting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Villero, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Jay Villero

Jay Villero Agent

Has anyone found the silver cabinets on Wegas and other TV's to be distracting at all? I'm looking to buy the toshiba 36A41 and I kinda liked the previous model (36A40) with the black cabinet. But I think I'm just used to seeing my TV with a black cabinet. Let me know your thoughts/comments. Thanks.

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Not a dumb question at all. I have often wondered the same thing. I do not own a set with a silver cabinet nor am I in the market for one. However, it is very difficult to determine how distracting it would be while browsing your average A/V store.
    I would assume, like everything else, you would eventually get used to it. I am sure many here will tell you exactly that.
    C. Ryan

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I have had several Grey/Silver flat screen Panasonics over the last 2 years and haven't noticed any problems. Although you will find some people here and at the Spot that feel strongly the other way. Some people have even bought grey Wega's and painted them black.
    I just roll my eye's at this and think, give me a break. I spend my time watching the movie and not the frame. I've just ordered the new Toshiba 50H81 which is also grey. There are more important things than the color of the frame IMO.
    As always YMMV.

4. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

I hate the silver color & as I've said in other posts, when you go to a movie theater they don't have a silver boarder running around the screen to distract from the picture do they? A friend of mine had his Sony XBR spray painted black at an auto body place & I think the set looks 100% better. I also think that the only reason Sony made the flat tube sets silver was so they would stand out in the stores & it was probably done at the request of their marketing department. What I'm disapointed about is that everyone else is copying the Sony silver & after they do, then you'll see Sony switch back to black on them. If I was running a tv company I would give people a choice of colors [​IMG]

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Silver is a really dumb colour! For us, I think its a slap in the face.
    Under the right/wrong lighting conditions, if you were watching a widescreen movie the black bars would be more noticable then with a black/dark gray cabinet. We ought to stop by TV departments and tell the sales people that we'd never buy those just because of the colour! [​IMG]
    Glenn

6. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Not at all dumb!! I agree that the silver colr was to help the TV stand out and give it a futuristic technological type of look. I had one and sold it 3 months afterwards. I hated it and until Philips decided to come out with a black flat screen did I even get aroused at looking at one. I'm looking at the possibility of getting my first projector in the near future.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I guess I'll be devil's advocate [​IMG] and say that the silverish gray color doesn't really bother me at all. We have a Toshiba 20AF41 and my wife likes the flat tube and its stylish coloring. I must admit that I really don't even notice the color once I'm watching something. Whether or not its gray, silver or black, my brain still registers that the image I'm looking at is being displayed on a squarish electronic device.
    cheers,
    --tom

8. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I have a Sony XBR400 and I too was turned off by the bright silver color and it did bother me initially. However, It doen'st bother me now, I guess I've gotten used to it.

9. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I have a 36XBR450, and I do most of my serious viewing with all the lights out, so the silvery cabinet doesn't really bother me.